unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Etudes Sequence #85437
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I study in France and I am currently doing études by Pozzoli, Larivière et Bochsa (100 exercises journaliers) and will start on Dizi soon. But I have done several études of Bochsa and

    in reply to: How old were you when you started playing the harp? #166200
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I was 15 when my twin sister and I first started lessons with a harp.

    in reply to: need some advice on arpeggios #160958
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Regarding your dream to play arpeggios correctly:

    in reply to: Handel Passacalgia #151572
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think using an alternate fingering is a great idea if the student is having difficulty with the passage.

    in reply to: Granjany / Renie Technique #82944
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Lyon and Healy also carries it.

    in reply to: Do you give gifts to your harp students? #85912
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Janelle,

    I give my students something at Christmas.

    in reply to: Stuck harp knot #160023
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Anne,

    I would try these three things –

    1) If it appears that the knot could be pulled through, gently do so, but don’t do much more than a gentle tug.

    2) Do the same from the back if it looks like the knot could come out that way – just grab the string (on the front_ and push on it.

    3) You can always try needle nose pliers in the back – but be careful not to bang the harp or do any other damage

    Do any of this gently

    FYI the “tiny stick” is called an anchor. 🙂

    ~Sam

    in reply to: How do you part with your first harp? #109788
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This is a great question, Kari.

    in reply to: Flying with a lap harp #160972
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Laura

    I have flown several times with my Brittany lap harp.

    in reply to: need some advice on arpeggios #160957
    unknown-user
    Participant
    in reply to: need some advice on arpeggios #160955
    unknown-user
    Participant

    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2hdtri9.jpg[/IMG]

    here is a sample of what im talking about.

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160514
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Gillian, Yes, take a vacation. But don’t quit, I suggest! Have you thought of trying other styles of harps and playing, e g Latin harps with their lower string tension, and easy technique?

    I play a cross-strung lap harp, Latin style, I read music, but do it infrequently, as I play by ear! Coud be worth trying. I work out the melody by ear in a suitable key, then add a simple bass with triads, lastly work in an alto part. OK, I know basic harmony from playing guitar, comes in handy.This approach mabe unconventional, but sounds good and

    in reply to: Gestation of a harp – update #160462
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Mike, Fascinated. Sorry couldn’t access photos. I gather you are prepared for teething troubles, or worse. I designed and built a nylon string X-strung lap harp last year, and had several imajor worries on completing, which I was able to overcome; now, I have a delightfully sounding harp.

    I used 1/8 in. doorskin plywood, the better grade 5-laminae sort for the soundboard, and it really sounds great. I wonder if your neck is strong enough – I think you’d need at least the same thickness, probably thicker, in a good hardwood, e g hickory, rather than plywood, which is usually made from softwood!. Have you thought that the neck wood has to hold the tuning pins with strings tuned up, without slipping?

    Have you any idea how much a tension load your harp will have to deal with?
    Maybe I coud help you with this, as it could be worth knowing.

    The neck-body joint needs to be strong, especially to stop the neck being pivoted sideways. I use a mortise and tenon joint, 3/8 in deep, screwed together.

    Have you read Jerry Brown’s book, “Design and Construction of Folk Harps”? I haven’t!

    in reply to: String Tension: Pedal Harp vs. Latin #160986
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi again all. While the string tension of lever harps may vary, generally it seems to be a deal higher than that of Latin harps.

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160510
    unknown-user
    Participant

    One thing I don’t think anyone has touched on, is you can try TOO hard.

    I’ve been playing piano for 40 years so sight reading comes easy to me – but – I also play by ear.

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 5,570 total)