unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148781
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Fascinating!

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160504
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Gillian,

    I think you can tell that many of us have “been there” to some degree or another…which is why I laughed when I saw the Bosch painting of the harp in the Hell

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #152038
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have known John Mangrum for 68 years (I see him when I look in the mirror), so I was present at the birth of this DVD and would like to make a comment about my experience with Mildred Dilling and with this DVD.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    http://www.fmcim.org/comp/in/?menu=2&lang=en

    try a search here. The next one is in Munich.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    It varies with each one, I think, and some post very late in the USA, especially some French competitions. If you know which ones you are potentially interested in, write to them and find out. There are several that are for all instruments, not harp only, like those by orchestras, Geneva, Pro Musicis, Young Concert Artists, Astral Artists. Any others?

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #84194
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I forgot Pozzoli.

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #84907
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I forgot Pozzoli.

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #85417
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I forgot Pozzoli.

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #84193
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Where are you Carl? I thought this was your favorite subject.

    Some possible names: Bochsa (at least three levels of etudes), Concone, Grossi, Kastner, LaRiviere, Martenot,

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #84906
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Where are you Carl? I thought this was your favorite subject.

    Some possible names: Bochsa (at least three levels of etudes), Concone, Grossi, Kastner, LaRiviere, Martenot,

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #85416
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Where are you Carl? I thought this was your favorite subject.

    Some possible names: Bochsa (at least three levels of etudes), Concone, Grossi, Kastner, LaRiviere, Martenot,

    in reply to: Harp Benches #75811
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think a bench is much better than a swivel stool. You need a steady base under you. A concert bench is also the only thing that looks good on stage, but it must match your harp reasonably well. Vinyl is a drag, but some padding can help. I was quite fond of the original wooden benches from Lyon & Healy, and if it hadn’t been stolen I would still be using mine, I’m sure.

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160501
    unknown-user
    Participant

    From what you say, you do not want to quit, you are frustrated because you are not making progress. You have to accept that you have to work as hard as it takes to improve. You may not be working hard enough. It may be your lessons. Unless you have little or no talent, you will progress with time and effort. Reading music takes practice. Everything takes practice. You may not have learned to practice effectively. There are many possible explanations. You might not be working on the right things. A lot of things need time to sink in. The real question is how do you deal with yourself. Do you berate yourself for not instantly getting things? Do you expect everything to just work as if by magic? The only magic is that if you work hard, it start to flow. Ask your teacher. Ask how to practice. Ask how much progress to expect. Look for other approaches to musical theory. Not knowing which chord you are playing seems to mean you haven’t gotten the concept right yet. You may not be ready for it. The brain has to develop into a lot of music. I’m assuming you are a young teen. If you’re an adult, then it’s different.

    in reply to: sponge in harp??? #160981
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I stuck a mop in my harp.

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160497
    unknown-user
    Participant

    you know, I went through the same thing with piano.8 Years

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 5,570 total)