unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Playing “in” or “into” the strings #84810
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Carl,

    Thanks for such a quick response – this is precisely what I am doing, using a piece that

    in reply to: Playing “in” or “into” the strings #85320
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Carl,

    Thanks for such a quick response – this is precisely what I am doing, using a piece that

    in reply to: Learning More About Salzedo? #83847
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My teacher (whose teachers were Salzedo and Lawrence) always told me to keep the pinky relaxed. My very first teacher, whom I had for my first year of playing, (and who was a previous student of the teacher I first mentioned) instructed me to make sure that the pinky was “one with the 4th finger.” Of course this is not exactly what the end results becomes – it’s rather more that the pinky follows the general position of the hand so that its most relaxed: if the hand opens, the pinky goes with it, and if the hand closes, so does the pinky. I remember this part of learning to be particularly frustrating and I suspect that this is a pinky problem in general, because I also had problems with my pinky when learning the flute.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Learning More About Salzedo? #84560
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My teacher (whose teachers were Salzedo and Lawrence) always told me to keep the pinky relaxed. My very first teacher, whom I had for my first year of playing, (and who was a previous student of the teacher I first mentioned) instructed me to make sure that the pinky was “one with the 4th finger.” Of course this is not exactly what the end results becomes – it’s rather more that the pinky follows the general position of the hand so that its most relaxed: if the hand opens, the pinky goes with it, and if the hand closes, so does the pinky. I remember this part of learning to be particularly frustrating and I suspect that this is a pinky problem in general, because I also had problems with my pinky when learning the flute.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Learning More About Salzedo? #85070
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My teacher (whose teachers were Salzedo and Lawrence) always told me to keep the pinky relaxed. My very first teacher, whom I had for my first year of playing, (and who was a previous student of the teacher I first mentioned) instructed me to make sure that the pinky was “one with the 4th finger.” Of course this is not exactly what the end results becomes – it’s rather more that the pinky follows the general position of the hand so that its most relaxed: if the hand opens, the pinky goes with it, and if the hand closes, so does the pinky. I remember this part of learning to be particularly frustrating and I suspect that this is a pinky problem in general, because I also had problems with my pinky when learning the flute.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Strings on L&H Ogden #159385
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dawn, what a beautiful person you are. I like your way of thinking about the problem. You’re right. I constantly compare it with the sounds in my head of a pedal harp, and it doesn’t have those sounds.

    in reply to: String changing pitch with volume? #150877
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The problem fixed itself after the string was changed and the harp was regulated. It was not an over-bending affect, which many insisted it was, despite evidence against it, rather a strange buzz that was close to the pitch of the string, making the pitch seem off. It would buzz louder the harder the string was plucked, and so the problem was worsened when the string was played loudly. Thank goodness for regulators! 🙂

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Harmonics #159436
    unknown-user
    Participant

    When Zabaleta played with the San Antonio Symphony, I got a chance to take an up close look at his harp – the old brown Obermeyer with the 8th pedal –

    in reply to: Looking for a Teacher #108601
    unknown-user
    Participant

    1) Location 2) Reputation (I like to find recommendations from other teachers or harpsists and usually prefer that they have impressive credentials. I generally look for a teacher that is known to at least a decent chunk of the harpist population, at least here in America) 3) personality 5) how good they are as a general teacher 5) cost 6) goals 7) scheduling 8) technique

    I find location important, as I am still too young to drive (or rather, haven’t gotten my license, but I go to boarding school anyway and am not allowed to drive) I think this one is obvious, because if you can’t get to them, then why consider them?

    I think its also important that they are good as a teacher, not in specifics for playing the harp. I would like a teacher that is good at arranging recitals, can communicate with the right people,

    in reply to: Chicago Petite 40 #159585
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you for your very kind offer Bill and Jennifer. We’ll see what the future brings. That’s a fairly long and expensive trip. But who knows!

    in reply to: Need data/info on physical requirements to play #150905
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi – so sorry for your injury – how unfortunate!
    Two of us here in San Antonio have actually taken our harps to the doctors office to show them what is involved physically with playing the instrument – and that includes having them come outside to watch us load and unload from the van. They had no idea the amount of physical work involved.

    in reply to: Composing harp music #159627
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks everyone for your answers to my question. I am going to look into buying one of the programs mentioned once I have tried it out first. Happy composing!

    in reply to: Harp Camp #166533
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Julia,
    Have you heard of Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp? They have a wonderful harp program for harpists of all skill levels with opportunities to work on solo music and play in harp ensembles. I went to Blue Lake as a camper for 3 summer sessions, and this past summer I worked as the harp assistant/counselor. It was a great experience both as a camper and as a counselor.

    The camp is in Twin Lakes, Michigan and each session is 12 days long. Being a harp major at Blue Lake is a lot of hard work, but it is a great experience!

    Good luck!

    ~Stefanie

    in reply to: Harp blogs or websites #108780
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi,

    I’m a harp-player from Germany and these are the webpages of my current project, Coronal Rain:

    Coronal Rain – website

    Coronal Rain on Myspace

    We have just released our first eclectic album of songs and instrumental pieces featuring acoustic and electric harps, keys, drums and vocals.

    Best wishes and a happy 2010,

    Nerissa

    in reply to: Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case #71424
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl,

    Am no harpist but hit upon your forum researching an Erard Harp being sold at a New Year’s auction in Dallas, Pa. (near Wilkes-Barre/ Scranton)

    Some of your fellow harpists might be interested

    After reading your very thorough responses to fellow forum members, I am taking a pass on the harp. Clearly do not know enough to make a sound judgement.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 5,570 total)