Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Jerusha,
Not to intrude on a message to Carl, but I did attend Marie-Pierre Langlamet’s Masterclass, which was fascinating and intimate. I did not, however, get a chance to stay for the concert. I really appreciate this Distinguished Harpist Series. From what I can tell, there are a lot of newly graduated harpists in the area who seem dedicated to making Boston a real center of harp activity. Its very exciting. I can’t wait for the next distinguished harpist, Gwyneth Wentink, who will be here in April and May. Although she’s not doing a masterclass, she is giving a concert and private lessons, both of which I’m planning to take advantage of.
~Sam
unknown-user
Participanthttp://www.usaihc.org/compositioncontest.html
It’s the required new piece for the USA international harp competition. Sorry to not be more detailed in my first post. I was too miserable to communicate clearly.
unknown-user
ParticipantIts not a syllabus by any means, but you might find some guidance by looking at repertoire for past competitions… the levels would be very exact and would not necessarily flow evenly from one to another, but it these competitions give an entire range of pieces.
I’d recommend the AHS national competitions, Lily Laskine, Nippon, Israel, USA international, and any others if you stumble upon them.
~Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantIf you already have a notion of what you want your harp to sound like, then you must be prepared to put a lot of time into seeking out the harp that has those qualities – the other part of that equation is the tone that you will produce on a given harp with your own fingers and playing style – I guess you can think of the search as part of the journey –
have fun –
Johnunknown-user
ParticipantHow about for some inspiration, look at your CD or record album collection and observe the type of music being presented in the album, the musicians involved and whether there is a theme running through the album that connects the selections – and then what the album has been named – I would also take into account where you are giving this concert and who is your expected audience – do you need to keep it “classy” or can you have a little fun with the title –
“An Evening of Classics for Harp and Flute”“Music for a Spring Evening”
Basil Sara – harp
with James Galway – flute“I Didn’t Know You Could Play That on a Harp”
– transcriptions for harp and flute –
Basel Sara – harp
James Galway – flutehope this gives you a start –
give us some more details on the music, the location and the name of your flutist and we’ll put our collective heads together –
Best to you
Johnunknown-user
ParticipantIf I may interject, I believe Lynne was just pointing out that neither Carl nor Saul actually answered the question and instead ended up talking about the techniques themselves.
unknown-user
ParticipantThis sounds like an interesting solution. Do you stand and play, or does it just help when sitting? I would like to do this, but I am worried about damaging the column attachments if they must support the weight of the harp.
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Hannah,
Assuming that you’re the same Hannah DeLadurantey that I just found on youtube trying out a Salzedo model at the Lyon and Healy factory, I think I can give some more advice. You seem to be moving your left elbow around alot, while not moving your right elbow. The fact that you are moving your left elbow but not your right indicates that this may be the culprit of your difficulties. Just moving my elbow around now, I can feel the muscles around my shoulder tensing up, and I’m sure the joint would get sore after lots of practicing. Try to keep your elbow movements to a minimum and see if that helps your shoulder. If it doesnt help, oh well! but it may the solution.
Just a note – you may find it hard to not move your elbow, because (as it seems to me from watching those two videos) you’re releasing the string by drawing your hand away from the harp. You might need to concentrate on articulating more with your fingers, rather than your elbow. Try releasing the string by bringing your finger into your palm, rather than bringing your hand away from the harp. What I’m seeing might just be the result of some strange angles or some optical illusion, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. If this is the problem, it may be more a more complex techinical issue than it is ostensibly.
I’m no expert, but these excessive movements would surely cause me some discomfort.
Best of luck, and good videos!
Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantIn response to the statement: “a world class competition to stand behind its winner whom they believe
is the unique, supremely special, creative individual who has that
immediate connection with an audience.” Do you mean that the 2nd and 3rd prize winners might not posses such qualities? Labeling the first prize winners (only) as such is probably not the best idea because there are many legends in the harp world who received Second and Third Prizes in Israel – Susan McDonald, Catherine Michel, Jana Bouskova, Xavier DeMaistre and other amazing harpists – and they have proved to us again and again that they too are most certainly “unique, supremely special, creative individual who has that
immediate connection with an audience”.unknown-user
ParticipantYou may be tensing up your upper back and shoulders when you play, especially when playing up high. I sometimes do this, and its always unconciously; my teachers have always scolded me on this, as it can develop into more serious problems. Before every practice, try stretching out your entire body (even your legs and feet!) and pay attention to your body,
unknown-user
ParticipantYes, indeed, especially if the song has meaning for the participants.
unknown-user
ParticipantSorry if I seemed to be disrespecting my teacher, but sometimes someone else is going to be able to explain things in a way I’ll understand more readily. That being said, I think the advice I’ve received here will help because now I know that I’m heading in the right direction. But that’s not to say I won’t accept any more advice.
Thanks!
Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantSorry if I seemed to be disrespecting my teacher, but sometimes someone else is going to be able to explain things in a way I’ll understand more readily. That being said, I think the advice I’ve received here will help because now I know that I’m heading in the right direction. But that’s not to say I won’t accept any more advice.
Thanks!
Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantSorry if I seemed to be disrespecting my teacher, but sometimes someone else is going to be able to explain things in a way I’ll understand more readily. That being said, I think the advice I’ve received here will help because now I know that I’m heading in the right direction. But that’s not to say I won’t accept any more advice.
Thanks!
Sam
unknown-user
ParticipantHi Carl,
Thanks for such a quick response – this is precisely what I am doing, using a piece that
-
AuthorPosts