harpcolumn

Chicago Petite 40

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Chicago Petite 40

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I would like to hear from someone who has bought the new

They all sounded just fine to me, but the extended sounding board definitely has a fuller tone and is more even. I would not recommend getting a harp with less than 46 strings if at all possible.

andy-b
    Participant

I could be wrong, but I believe with the Chicago that the only difference between it and the 85P model that Lyon & Healy has discontinued is the carving of the column itself. The differences all seem to be cosmetic. They already had all of the working action designed and manufactured for several years. I had an 85P for a couple of years and it was a very nice harp. But as Saul pointed out, if you’re planning on playing orchestral repertoire, you’ll need a full-sized harp. I found the 40-string size adequate for many gigging venues, and it was easier to haul around due to the smaller size.

Hope this helps,

Andy

brook-boddie
    Participant

I purchased a new Chicago 40 a couple of months ago.

dawn-penland
    Participant

My friend has had her Chicago 40 for about 6 months now and loves it.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Yes, I tried a Chicago P and other than the column it felt and sounded almost exactly like my 85P. The column was the only part that visually looked different too. The rest was pretty much identical.

Certainly, an Orchestral harpist needs 47 strings, and I think most people would do well to get a CG. But for some the smaller harp has some advantages and if it works for you then go for it. They are excellent harps.

I, too, purchased a Chicago Petite this past March.

unknown-user
    Participant

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I found them all very helpful. A special thanks to Brook Boddie for sending me part of his CD so I could hear the sound.

dawn-penland
    Participant

Measure the back of your Aveo, the Chicago Petite is 65 3/8 inches.

I recently had a chance to try out some of the Chicago harps in the L&H factory side by side with the other models.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you for your very kind offer Bill and Jennifer. We’ll see what the future brings. That’s a fairly long and expensive trip. But who knows!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies