harpcolumn

Harmonics

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harmonics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    armande-fryatt
    Participant

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can help me play harmonics! I have really tried, but just cannot get a harmonic right first time. I’ve got several pieces where I cannot go any further as the harmonics are up next. It’s another 2 weeks before my next lesson.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Without seeing what you are doing it is

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Hey,

If you are still having trouble, you can try marking the harmonic spot on the string with white-out. I’ve met harpists who have been playing for years who still use this for hard-to-hit harmonics.

Good luck!

carl-swanson
    Participant

One of the harpists who did this regularly was Grandjany. Sam Milligan told me this.

Isn’t your teacher helping you with this problem?

Armande, whether making harmonics with either left or right hand, make sure you are pressing really hard

Do not use white-out, it will ruin your strings. It just takes time to get them. There are no shortcuts to playing well. If Mr. Grandjany used something, it was long before white-out was invented, perhaps white grease pencil.

unknown-user
    Participant

When Zabaleta played with the San Antonio Symphony, I got a chance to take an up close look at his harp – the old brown Obermeyer with the 8th pedal –

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I do that with a Sharpie, it stays longer… you only have to mark on the left side of the string, that way your eye can spot exactly where to go. Fir the strings where both hands play harmonics I mark the right hand with blue sharpie.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Do you mark where you knuckle pushes against the string? Or where your finger tip plucks the string?

Fearghal McCartan
    Participant

I mark where the thumbtip goes for either hand – that way you are sure of a solid support for the harmonic – rather than trying to find where exactly on the pad of the LH the mark is supposed to be. I have always used a normal permanent marker – fine tip, brown and even though a lot of the mark wears away through the thumbtip rubbing against it, the mark does remain in the winding of the gut strings.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Sam Milligan told me that Grandjany would twirl the string between thumb and index finger as he was marking it with the other hand so that the mark was like a ring that completely encircled the string.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Maybe these will help:

How to Play the Harp : Right Hand Harp Harmonics for Beginners http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv0SKSWyv_A

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

When you’re first learning (or when you’re getting a new harp), it can help to actually measure the string.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

It depends on where and how you place the mark Carl. If you make a mark all the way around the string then yes, some of it will come off on your thumb. The white strings are translucent so it works better to put the mark where the hands will not come in contact with them. It’s really only neccesary to mark somewhere around the left side of the harp though as you won’t be looking for the mark on the right side.

Tacye
    Participant

This thread is reminding me of when I was learning and decided never to miss a harmonic again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.