harpcolumn

Looking for a Teacher

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Looking for a Teacher

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

What factors do you consider when looking for a harp teacher, and in what ranking of importance?

For example, is it cost, location, technique, reputation, scheduling, personal relations, etc.?

kay-lister

1. qualifications 2. personality 3. technique 4. location 5. cost

Kay

tonya-a
    Participant

1. experience
    2. technique
    3. reputation
    4. scheduling/cost
    5. location

But here’s the deal breaker –

unknown-user
    Participant

1) Location 2) Reputation (I like to find recommendations from other teachers or harpsists and usually prefer that they have impressive credentials. I generally look for a teacher that is known to at least a decent chunk of the harpist population, at least here in America) 3) personality 5) how good they are as a general teacher 5) cost 6) goals 7) scheduling 8) technique

I find location important, as I am still too young to drive (or rather, haven’t gotten my license, but I go to boarding school anyway and am not allowed to drive) I think this one is obvious, because if you can’t get to them, then why consider them?

I think its also important that they are good as a teacher, not in specifics for playing the harp. I would like a teacher that is good at arranging recitals, can communicate with the right people,

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

1. Qualifications

2. Harp Pedagogy

3. Experience

4. Personal Achievements

5. Reputation

6. Character

7. Previous and Current Students Achievements

8. Location

9. Cost

Cynthy, can you elaborate a little, particularly on harp pedagogy?

kay-lister

I would prefer to drive a longer distance and have a more qualified teacher then a shorter distance and be slighted in the other areas.

Kay

tonya-a
    Participant

Location – I agree Kay – would much prefer to have a longer commute to lessons.

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

Saul,

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

I find that the list also changes with the level of the student.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Ethics!

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

Perhaps

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies