unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Feerie #159000
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Zach,

    I played this piece when I was your age! (I also started posting on this forum at your age)

    in reply to: Bob Maxwell #150060
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wow!

    in reply to: Renie Angelus #159092
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Gorman,

    With French music, especially Renie, the few chords that are marked to be rolled are to be especially rolled. Often they are the culmination of a phrase. Tasteful rolling elsewhere is standard.

    Sam

    in reply to: Salzedo Variations in ancient style #150223
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Mr. S –

    Well, bravo to you for digging into the tough repertoire!

    in reply to: To play or not to play, that is the question #150269
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I have been involved in some dicey last minute deals over the years also – and I really understand that you don’t want to leave a bride high and dry if it’s due to someone else who has dropped the ball – I would call the venue where the wedding is going to take place and ask if they have been paid and if they know that other vendors have been paid – or not paid as the case may be – that will give you a clue whether it’s just your part or whether the whole thing is totally disorganized – if they have been paid, you could ask who they dealt with and go to that person and explain the situation –
    good luck
    John

    in reply to: Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp #150078
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Stella Castellucci has great arrangements of those era songs –

    in reply to: Music transcribed for harp #150205
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Actually, that sounds really interesting to me – I’d like to see a copy of it too – I wonder if there would be a way to have it posted here – thanks –
    John

    in reply to: Renting a electric pedal harp #150357
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The last time a touring harpist needed an electric harp here in San Antonio, the closest one was Louise Trotters in Houston – she brought it the 200 miles to San Antonio – seems that around here it can even get complicated just getting an acoustic harp provided for a visiting performer –
    As you know, using an electric harp is not just the harp itself, but also all the associated electronics/amplifiers/speakers – various setups in various performance venues can all sound different especially if you have a “signature sound” that you need to have consistently – on the other hand if you tour outside the US with your own equipment, you will be dealing with any number of different power voltages and CPS – England and I guess most all of Europe is 220/50cps and other places have other combinations
    Greg Buchanan and Linda Rice both tour with electric harps and all their own sound gear – Greg has a “roadie”, and Linda’s husband is her roadie – they also act as the sound engineers during a performance – Deborah Henson Conant also tours with her electric lever harp but I don’t know how extensive her sound system is –
    So, before you do anything, I would suggest a very in depth visit with all three of these performers concerning what they do, how they do it, and what kind of problems they deal with – also, what is your projected audience and how will you advertise your performance in each of the distant places you will go to –
    I am also thinking that if you want to travel, a first time out experience that would let you experience the travel with a minimum of hassle with harp, amps and other equipment would be to see if you could get booked on a cruise ship that either originates somewhere close to where you live or has a stop in a port close to you –
    Sounds like lots of planning and prep work but do your homework and have fun –
    John

    in reply to: Very advanced classical rep for lever harp #150315
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The Rachmaninoff choral “Ave Maria” – play the piano rehearsal part on the harp as written – there are no lever changes – it is quite lovely

    in reply to: String Tying Woes #159207
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Just as a note-

    If you tie it the way Sylvia Woods does in the above video and if the string you’re changing is thin enough, you can do a third, large loop and put the entire knot through this third loop. The anchor will never fall out this way!

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Recordings of harp and cello? #159068
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My teacher, Ina Zdorovetchi, is planning on making a harp and cello CD with cellist Holgen Gjoni. I’ve seen them

    in reply to: Playing for students #83679
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I find hearing my teacher play invaluable as I am an aural learner. She recognizes this so if I´m not getting something she´ll play for me. I have to agree, however, with the trap of not paying enough attention to the actual music. I think my teacher makes a good compromise by playing something that I´m not playing that demonstrates the same feeling or technique. This is, however, often because she would rather play something she knows well rather than fudge the notes on the piece I´m playing, but the result is the same nonetheless.

    Sam

    in reply to: Hola #84038
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola Rafael,

    Lo busque en Google pero no pude encontrar algo de como afinarla – lo siento. Nunca he oido de esta “arpa llanera” – sabes si hay otro nombre para ella? Si hay otro nombre, possiblemente te podre ayudar mas.

    Sam

    in reply to: Hola #84751
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola Rafael,

    Lo busque en Google pero no pude encontrar algo de como afinarla – lo siento. Nunca he oido de esta “arpa llanera” – sabes si hay otro nombre para ella? Si hay otro nombre, possiblemente te podre ayudar mas.

    Sam

    in reply to: Hola #85261
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hola Rafael,

    Lo busque en Google pero no pude encontrar algo de como afinarla – lo siento. Nunca he oido de esta “arpa llanera” – sabes si hay otro nombre para ella? Si hay otro nombre, possiblemente te podre ayudar mas.

    Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 5,570 total)