harpcolumn

Olympic Harps!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Olympic Harps!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Hannah,

Assuming that you’re the same Hannah DeLadurantey that I just found on youtube trying out a Salzedo model at the Lyon and Healy factory, I think I can give some more advice. You seem to be moving your left elbow around alot, while not moving your right elbow. The fact that you are moving your left elbow but not your right indicates that this may be the culprit of your difficulties. Just moving my elbow around now, I can feel the muscles around my shoulder tensing up, and I’m sure the joint would get sore after lots of practicing. Try to keep your elbow movements to a minimum and see if that helps your shoulder. If it doesnt help, oh well! but it may the solution.

Just a note – you may find it hard to not move your elbow, because (as it seems to me from watching those two videos) you’re releasing the string by drawing your hand away from the harp. You might need to concentrate on articulating more with your fingers, rather than your elbow. Try releasing the string by bringing your finger into your palm, rather than bringing your hand away from the harp. What I’m seeing might just be the result of some strange angles or some optical illusion, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. If this is the problem, it may be more a more complex techinical issue than it is ostensibly.

I’m no expert, but these excessive movements would surely cause me some discomfort.

Best of luck, and good videos!

Sam

If you are holding your elbows too high, that can be causing the problem. I would suggest a couple more massages, one is often not enough. Then, if I didn’t mention it, have an ultrasound done to look at your tissues to see exactly what is going on as you move. You may need a cortisone injection.

Well, I thought the placement of the instruments was perfect.

The pedal harp was an Aoyama, and the harpist sitting behind it was Alys Howe, a very talented harpist. As far as I know, the orchestra that was shown was miming the music that had been recorded earlier. The Vancouver Symphony pre-recorded the Olympic hymn and a great deal of music for the opening ceremonies. I am the harpist you hear in that music, the anthems and the music being played as they give out the medals.

harp guy
    Participant

Aaaahhhh!

I realized when I watched it again that it wasn’t quite a 23, but couldn’t see it clearly enough. It’s nice to know what it was though! And what an honor to be part of that.

I had a friend who played principal oboe in the olympic orchestra at the winter games in Salt Lake City (2002).

catherine-rogers
    Participant

It may be not just the size but also the weight. Would you consider a Camac Clio? 44 strings, extended board 57 lbs., straight board 55 lbs. With the extended board, the sound is bigger than you’d expect, and it weighs less than other 44-string harps.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Gee, Hannah, I have a great 17 for sale. You’re not anywhere near Atlanta, are you?

tony-morosco
    Participant

So it WAS Loreena.

When I saw that harp I thought to myself, that’s Loreena McKennitt’s Troubadour, it has to be.

After all, she is the only well known Canadian Harpist I know of who plays a Troubadour.

But I kept watching for her and didn’t see her. I figured she must have been playing at some point but just wasn’t featured on screen.

Nice to see the harp, but I would have really liked to have seen her playing it

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies