unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Major faults with Aoyama Etude #73446
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Leonard,

    Please get back to us and let us know how it worked out. I am sure it will be

    in reply to: Major faults with Aoyama Etude #73445
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Barbara,

    All of what you say is quite true. However, I feel the issue here is that the regulation was out from the day the harp arrived, was not properly regulated before it was sent out and that the follow up service was not good.

    This is an issue that is plaguing harpists with other brands of harps as well.

    Regards,

    Ann.

    in reply to: Working with physical limitations… #83747
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Marie

    Welcome! If I am not mistaken, you can buy fingerless gloves that should keep the tendons in place… but you probably would know about these by now if they existed. If you did find a pair, I’m sure it would be no big deal to play in them.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Working with physical limitations… #83745
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Marie,

    I have not encountered this particular problem before, but will say that I have worked with students with limitations before and myself play with an injury.

    I would encourage you to not do too much playing until you have seen the specialist and it may be worth also gaining a referal to a physiotherapist – who understands your problem, can look at what you do at the harp, and offer solutions.

    in reply to: Major faults with Aoyama Etude #73443
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Leonard,

    This sounds awfully frustrating and disappointing

    in reply to: creating color in music #149827
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sherj,

    I would find that very interesting! I’ve always thought that synaesthesia is fascinating – but color and music aren’t just associated with perfect pitch, in the sense that each pitch is a different color. Some people associate different colors with different keys. Sometimes I think I have this… partly. Sometimes I swear that pieces that are in Eb major or minor are yellow, but I figure I music be fouling myself! BTW not all people with perfect pitch have synaesthesia.

    On the original question. I think there is a difference between sound timbre and sound color, and the two are confused because they are often used interchangeably. I understand sound timbre to be something like the sound of the oboe or the sound of clarinet. The two instruments sound different, and the difference is their timbres. A harp specific example might be the difference between regular playing and playing with the nails, or regular playing and harmonics, or regular playing and PDLT.

    in reply to: Learning piano before harp #82837
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, if you’re asking about the advantages and disadvantages of starting one before the other, assuming you’ll play both, heres what I’ve seen.

    Many people complain that when learning crossing under in piano first, it carries over into harp, where when learning crossing over on the harp first, it doesn’t seem to cross over.

    Piano first will give a firmer sense of music theory (keys, chord structure, modulation, etc.) because of the presence of the black keys. Of course, the student still has to be taught these things, but its easier on piano. That’s why they use a piano in music theory courses and not a harp!

    Piano might help give the hand an overall benefit by strengthening the outer side of the hand.

    Personally, I began piano after nearly 7 years of harp. No technique problems (except occasionally my fingers would close into my palm) and exceptional progress. Learning the pinky isnt hard, in my opinion.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: London Documentary Film #149815
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Our Northeast School District School of the Arts here in San Antonio which is a magnet public school for the area and encompasses a standard high school curriculum plus writing directing acting photography etc is probably on its last legs also – they had to go to a 5000.00 tuition this year just to keep it open – it is really sad as many graduates have gone on to performing arts colleges and then positions in the arts as writers, directors, composers and some on Broadway –
    and yet, football in Texas thrives and there is a brand new state of the art multimillion dollar Northeast ISD football stadium – – – –

    It is very sad

    in reply to: Pressing in on discs #73950
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Mr Swanson,

    Thank-you

    in reply to: Pressing in on discs #73948
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ” Does this apply to all harps, or only Lyon and Healys?

    Dear Mel,

    I believe that this applies to some harps, but not all. All older L&H would have this system.

    Salvi harps

    in reply to: choosing a harp #158734
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I can’t speak more highly of Pilgrim harps. They are a lovely and fine crafted instrument and the people at Pilgrim

    in reply to: USA competition in Bloomington #149799
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl,

    The competition starts tomorrow morning at 9AM. My teacher might be able to give some information on the results, but hopefully they’ll post everything right on the website.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Best Tuner for a 40 string pedal harp #158899
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Boss TU 12 tuner -has both indicator lights and a meter – connected to a soundboard pickup on my concert grande

    in reply to: Nutcracker disaster story on bass blog… #149741
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi – I have had this happen to me several times traveling by car with my harps (both extremely stable tuning instruments)

    in reply to: Finger Care #108032
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Jessica,

    I’ve read that thread several times, even before you posted it. That thread deals with people whose fingers are already damaged, which is not what I’m asking about. Thanks for the link, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 5,570 total)