harpcolumn

creating color in music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists creating color in music

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Maria Myers
    Participant

Hello!

I’m reading a book on music performance and came across a reference to creating “color” in one’s tone.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

What is the name of the book you are reading?

Maria, in a general way, this information might help. Bowed string instruments might produce a different “color” of the very

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

A slightly different question…does anyone ever remember hearing that people with perfect pitch, hear and see the colors of a note? There is a young man of about 30 years old at our church who is a highly

catherine-rogers
    Participant

That’s called synesthesia, where letters can have color, sounds can have color and colors can have taste.

unknown-user
    Participant

Sherj,

I would find that very interesting! I’ve always thought that synaesthesia is fascinating – but color and music aren’t just associated with perfect pitch, in the sense that each pitch is a different color. Some people associate different colors with different keys. Sometimes I think I have this… partly. Sometimes I swear that pieces that are in Eb major or minor are yellow, but I figure I music be fouling myself! BTW not all people with perfect pitch have synaesthesia.

On the original question. I think there is a difference between sound timbre and sound color, and the two are confused because they are often used interchangeably. I understand sound timbre to be something like the sound of the oboe or the sound of clarinet. The two instruments sound different, and the difference is their timbres. A harp specific example might be the difference between regular playing and playing with the nails, or regular playing and harmonics, or regular playing and PDLT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies