creating color in music

• Participant
    Maria Myers on #149822

Hello!

I’m reading a book on music performance and came across a reference to creating “color” in one’s tone.

Participant
    Misty Harrison on #149823

What is the name of the book you are reading?

patricia-jaeger on #149824

Maria, in a general way, this information might help. Bowed string instruments might produce a different “color” of the very

Participant
    Sherj DeSantis on #149825

A slightly different question…does anyone ever remember hearing that people with perfect pitch, hear and see the colors of a note? There is a young man of about 30 years old at our church who is a highly

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #149826

That’s called synesthesia, where letters can have color, sounds can have color and colors can have taste.

Participant
    unknown-user on #149827

Sherj,

I would find that very interesting! I’ve always thought that synaesthesia is fascinating – but color and music aren’t just associated with perfect pitch, in the sense that each pitch is a different color. Some people associate different colors with different keys. Sometimes I think I have this… partly. Sometimes I swear that pieces that are in Eb major or minor are yellow, but I figure I music be fouling myself! BTW not all people with perfect pitch have synaesthesia.

On the original question. I think there is a difference between sound timbre and sound color, and the two are confused because they are often used interchangeably. I understand sound timbre to be something like the sound of the oboe or the sound of clarinet. The two instruments sound different, and the difference is their timbres. A harp specific example might be the difference between regular playing and playing with the nails, or regular playing and harmonics, or regular playing and PDLT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.