harpcolumn

choosing a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists choosing a harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

My husband was confounded when I told him I have an appointment in Sept to try different harps because I love the Ogden rental.

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Deb:

Actually, it’s very common to go through several harps, either renting or buying, before settling on one. There are so many brands, sizes, and voices in harps that it is difficult to choose – and many harpists

deb-l
    Participant

I am wondering if I’d be better off ordering the Pilgrim Clarsach than trying more harps.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Keep in mind that increased portability may mean that you either have to stick the harp up on something to play it or lower your seating. Do you expect to actually have to transport your harp a lot?

Karen Johns
    Participant

I consider myself extremely fortunate that my harps found me, rather than the other way around. I knew the first time I set eyes on Musicmaker’s Voyageur harp that it was the right harp for me at the time. And then, the Limerick grabbed me and I had to have it (wire-strung of course). Then, finally (but this was always my first choice) the Heartland Dragonheart. I always go with my instincts on these type of things, and have yet to have “buyer’s regret”. Each of my harps have their own unique and amazing sound. My only real dilemna was coming up with the $$! LOL

Best of luck Deb, what a delightful dilemna to be in! :-)

Karen

unknown-user
    Participant

I can’t speak more highly of Pilgrim harps. They are a lovely and fine crafted instrument and the people at Pilgrim

deb-l
    Participant

Ann, that’s good to hear, thanks for mentioning their reputation, I have not heard much of them.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Deb, check out the post in Coffee Break called “I am in Harp Heaven!”- I posted links to pics near the bottom.

On that note, it is time to tune Gwydion again!

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

oh dear I just found an 06 Prelude 38 for just 3,600.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Anyone looking for a harp in the US owes it to him/herself to keep an eye on the CPO column on the Lyon&Healy site. Some of the bargains there are amazing.

deb-l
    Participant

I agree Sherry!

deb-l
    Participant

the battle of classic vs folk lever is over!

deb-l
    Participant

I found a great deal on a Rees Glen Aulen.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Deb, do you have any prominent planets in Gemini? That’s the sign that has trouble making up its mind. Whatever you end up with, here’s hoping it’s a good choice for you.

deb-l
    Participant

no Jessica, nothing in Gemini..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.