harpcolumn

Nutcracker disaster story on bass blog…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Nutcracker disaster story on bass blog…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steve McLure

I’m a fan of orchestral blogs, and there’s a bass blog that I read from time to time. A few years ago the author wrote about a harp disaster that the audience found quite funny. I found it funny too… until I thought about it a bit. Can anyone verify that this actually happened? If the pedals somehow get mis-set, does a mess like this usually follow?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Thank you SO much for posting this! I had an experience several weeks ago in a recital that left me absolutely mortified, and although on a much more basic level, the result was similar. My experience did involve a pedal.

I still can’t bring myself to post the gruesome details, but suffice to say, your post is very affirming!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Actually, I have a somewhat similar story. Years ago I played a run of Nutcracker with a local civic group. My own harp was being repaired(this was loooooong before I was repairing harps myself, or knew anything about them), and I was pinch hitting with an old but serviceable Erard that I had recently bought. When I bought it, the D pedal bar was broken off, and I had to take the pedal bar and the pedal and have a welder weld the two pieces of the pedal bar back together again.

For these performances they had pasted in the grand pas de deux which I think comes from Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty. I don’t know those ballets as well, but I don’t think the pas de deux they did comes from Nutcracker. Anyway, I had just begun the movement and reached for the D pedal to change it. I heard a clattering on the floor and a second or two later realized that the D pedal had broken off again!

andy-b
    Participant

While not on the scale of the Nutcracker, I had one pedal out of place once when I started a piece – if it had just been a solo, it would have been easier to fix, the problem was I was accompaning a cantor who was convinced she was the one off-pitch, so she was sort of searching for the proper notes at the same time I was, making it doubly confusing.

alishia-joubert
    Participant

I happen to know this bassist well, and his wife is a harpist and a friend of mine, so you can believe this story is true. I feel horrible for this particular harpist, knowing full well it could have been any of us.

What is the worst of it is, that this jerk put it in a blog for the world to read. What if he had been given a different bass to play and it had plastic strings, and a tailpin that kept sliding in? Would he want someone else to tell all about it?

Jessica A
    Participant

Who among us has not screwed the pedals?

Joanna Mell

Amen to that sister!

carl-swanson
    Participant

One of the most treacherous solo pieces in the repertoire, pedal-wise, is Faure’s Une Chatelaine en sa Tour. Almost everybody who has ever performed it has messed it up at one time or another. Someone told me about hearing the legendary Zabeleta make a mess of it in a concert. After the performance he said to this person,”Well, the Chatelaine fell out of her tower tonight.”

It’s interesting that one of those performances was left intact on a live recital cd of Zabaleta’s. It’s a lesson in keeping going no matter what happens. My bugaboo has been the Pescetti Sonata.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

I understand this disaster perfectly.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi – I have had this happen to me several times traveling by car with my harps (both extremely stable tuning instruments)

janelle-lake
    Participant

This sounds like a bad joke…

Did I ever tell you the time that I subbed for an orchestra and played the entire Nutcracker with no rehearsal on someone else’s harp?… I nailed the first act…. nailed the beginning of the second act and BANG!

I can only imagine the difficulty of playing a group of watery pieces like La Source and the Moldau if the imagery got a sympathetic response from one’s body.

Michael H
    Participant

Hmm… I wonder why the author decided to use an image of Joanna Newsom in his writing, maybe she was the substitute harpist!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies