harpcolumn

Best Tuner for a 40 string pedal harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Best Tuner for a 40 string pedal harp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sue Mann
    Participant

I have five portable tuners, Seiko, 2 Korgs, and a Intelli, but none tune the lower or upper three strings on the Petite 85 pedal.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Maybe it’s your pickup. What are you using? If you’re using just the microphone built into the tuner, that’s not enough to catch the extreme highs and lows.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

And if you do have a clip-on pickup, sometimes you need to move it for the top strings.

tony-morosco
    Participant

What Barbara said.

I use a Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner with a clip on tuner pickup. It has no issue with the lower strings at all, but for the top two I need to move the clip right onto the tuning peg of the string right below in order to get a good reading.

andy-b
    Participant

I also find that plucking the very highest strings with a nail makes the tuner read the note easier.

andy

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hey, Tony, do you have iOS4 installed? I installed the istrobosoft update after that, but the display doesn’t strobe anymore for me, although I can see the numerical readout of how far out the string is. Is it working for you?

tony-morosco
    Participant

Barbara,

Yes, I am running IOS4 and after I updated it also updated the strobosoft app and it works fine for me. Both the strobe display and numerical readout both work.

You might try removing the app, restarting the phone and then reinstalling. That sometimes works for me when I have a misbehaving app.

unknown-user
    Participant

Boss TU 12 tuner -has both indicator lights and a meter – connected to a soundboard pickup on my concert grande

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks, Tony. I’ve done that and restored my ipod and all and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Ah well, I have cleartune, too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.