unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Finger Care #108029
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saul, I definitely agree with you there – that lushness stems from broad, fleshy pads, (my wise teacher is constantly telling me this!) but the presence of hardened skin is going to work directly against you on that,

    in reply to: Finger Care #108026
    unknown-user
    Participant

    @Saul,

    Supple was the wrong word… I suppose lush? Because ones fingers might not be producing a harsh tone, but might not make a lush tone either. Of course, this is partly due to technique (and suppleness!) but the finger texture also has so much to do with it. I wonder if anyone has done a study on how finger texture effects timbre…

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Finger Care #108022
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve always wondered that myself. My teacher has a sizeable callus on her thumb – its

    in reply to: Finger Care #108019
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes! Same here, Kathy! I file my fingers too. It doesn’t seem right though. (the natural harsh scraping noise that my hands make) I’ve been playing the harp for nearly 9 years and I’ve almost never had a callus! Instead I just get hard “plates” of skin. Do you find the same thing? Does anyone know if this is an indication of something wrong?

    ~Sam

    in reply to: University #166240
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You didn’t make it clear that you intend to major in harp. (although you did imply that) At a lot of schools you can only study with the harp instructor if you are a major. Just something to consider.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Finger Care #108016
    unknown-user
    Participant

    None of you do anything to keep your fingers healthy? Really? Surely you MUST do something.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Ogden Broken Strings! #158580
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have had this problem with my Ogden harp. It was the same string that kept breaking (every week or two, for over a year!) We had to send it in for repairs so many times, and in the end they figured out there was a huge crack in the soundboard and I had to get a new harp.
    I think the string breaking had to do with the little rings at the bottom, they were made of metal but all the newer Ogdens (and all the other L&H harps) at the store had plastic rings. Maybe this is why your strings break as well?

    in reply to: Registry for John Egan harps? #74058
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Ms Shaljean,

    Thank you for all that information. It is all very helpful. I will indeed check the Yahoo site.

    Kind Regards,

    Ann.

    in reply to: Anyone watch “Harp Dreams” on PBS? #149835
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It was great! I thought it was very thorough, having interviewed contestants, parents, teachers, judges, and even taking a look at the production of the 1st prize harp! Maybe it was the tv or the way they recorded, but didn’t some of the audio seem abrasive? It was a shame, I thought that took away from the experience a little bit. My teacher was approached to be a tracked competitor, but she decided not to compete…

    ~Sam

    in reply to: How long #83819
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here’s my student history:

    ~1 year with a college student

    ~5 years with her teacher (I had been recommended to the first one because this teacher had a lot of students and could only take the most serious ones)

    ~a couple month break (I moved to boarding school)

    ~a couple months with a teacher near the school

    ~2.5 years at the conservatory (in the prep division)

    1 more year of highschool. I’ve gone back to the teacher I had for 5 years for summer lessons, but my current teacher decided that she did not want me studying with anyone else. Its a shame, and, in my opinion, hurtful to my progression. But I’ll make due ๐Ÿ™‚

    ~Sam

    in reply to: How long #84532
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here’s my student history:

    ~1 year with a college student

    ~5 years with her teacher (I had been recommended to the first one because this teacher had a lot of students and could only take the most serious ones)

    ~a couple month break (I moved to boarding school)

    ~a couple months with a teacher near the school

    ~2.5 years at the conservatory (in the prep division)

    1 more year of highschool. I’ve gone back to the teacher I had for 5 years for summer lessons, but my current teacher decided that she did not want me studying with anyone else. Its a shame, and, in my opinion, hurtful to my progression. But I’ll make due ๐Ÿ™‚

    ~Sam

    in reply to: How long #85042
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here’s my student history:

    ~1 year with a college student

    ~5 years with her teacher (I had been recommended to the first one because this teacher had a lot of students and could only take the most serious ones)

    ~a couple month break (I moved to boarding school)

    ~a couple months with a teacher near the school

    ~2.5 years at the conservatory (in the prep division)

    1 more year of highschool. I’ve gone back to the teacher I had for 5 years for summer lessons, but my current teacher decided that she did not want me studying with anyone else. Its a shame, and, in my opinion, hurtful to my progression. But I’ll make due ๐Ÿ™‚

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Salzedo Harp Registry #149767
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Check with David Williams at Williams Harp Galleries – he has been in the business many years and is quite the encylopedia of who played what and where they are now –

    I would also imagine that another good source of information would be the various regulators and technicians in various parts of the country as well as overseas – and also the various Salzedo method teachers around the country –

    You might also consider adding a list to this post of the ones you have already found so time isn’t wasted with duplication searches –

    Very interesting project – keep us posted
    John

    in reply to: Feerie #159003
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry for the late reply.

    First, mark all your beats. Sometimes you will find a 32nd (or is it a 16th?

    in reply to: Pieces to play #166453
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi everyone,

    Thanks for all the recent input, but Iยดve found guidance through competition repertoire. Also, I am currently playing at a level far above the one I described in my 2 year old post.

    Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 5,570 total)