unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,786 through 4,800 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: confused.. #166912
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Before I took up harp I played piano for several years, when i actually started the harp I found some of the stuff I learned while playing piano helped me progress at a faster rate. It was really hard work doing both at the same time, so if you want to keep both make sure you have the time. My advice is try the harp, its a great instrument and find out which one you like best if you dont have the time for both.

    in reply to: Gu Zheng Chinese harp #74975
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Does anyone teach the Gu Zheng in the midwest (Indiana)area; or any chinese musical instrument?

    in reply to: Eighteen- too old to start? #167678
    unknown-user
    Participant

    With 10 years of piano, you’ll be fine.

    I started harp at around 29 or 30, with a bachelor’s degree on trombone, and experience playing many other instruments.

    in reply to: Good, short Harp/flute Duos? #167944
    unknown-user
    Participant

    there’s a flute/harp duo by Donizetti. It’s a sonata in 2
    movements. One can aslo play it harp/violin as i did with my
    sister. It’s very easy, but sounds great! very nice melodies!
    OR from the carmen suite the entr’acte (i think that’s what it is) for
    flute and harp. (the well known melodie, soft, slow, major….) i
    played it with my sister and it sounds gorgeous. this ones not
    quite so easy but if you’re a quick learner than that’s a pretty good
    choice too!
    once i find the rest of the music I might list them up! I’ve played
    quite a lot with my sister…oh and what is for violin and piano
    might work with harp and flute…the Thais mediation. watch out
    for tricky pedal changes though.
    hope this has helped!

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157803
    unknown-user
    Participant

    In 2001, I was diagnosed with a form of connective tissue disease called “Polymyositis with Dermatamyositis.” I started exhibiting symptoms at the beginning of my pregnancy and they were very similar to those mentioned on this board…cracking, splitting, bleeding and EXTREMELY painful finger tips.

    I’ve tried EVERYTHING from Vaseline and gloves to Vicks, lotions, coritzone creams (scripted as well as OTC) and nothing has worked. I tried the Super Glue when my employer (an orthopaedic surgeon) told me that it would help…and it did, but sometimes, the toughness created by the glue makes my fingers even more sensitive when I touch anything; that didn’t seem to do the trick either.

    Once…for about 6 or 7 months…I took a supplement called Lecithin…and in about 2 months, I noticed that my hands were much healthier…I was taking about 2,400 mg gel tabs a day…but after a few more months, the cracking started up again. I have been treated with heavy oral steroid therapy since being diagnosed, and it seems that the only SURE FIRE cure is heavy doses of prednisone…but no doctor is going to prescribe heavy doses of prednisone for cracking skin. The healing was just an unexpected, yet welcomed happenstance…once he started coming down on my prednisone, though…(I’m on 7 mg now) the cracking started up again.

    I’ve tried Zim’s and it doesn’t work either…at this point, I would do just about anything to rid myself of the pain…!

    in reply to: ~Paraguay harp help~! #166784
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Christie,

    I personally know Alfredo Rolando Ortiz and play a Paraguayan Harp.
    He would be an excellent contact for you to find out more about the instrument. his web page is http://www.alfredo-rolando-ortiz.com.
    Good luck and enjoy the music.

    in reply to: cruise ship ? #152129
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I worked for a while on one of Cunard’s ships and had a wonderful experience.

    in reply to: Gu Zheng Chinese harp #74974
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi all,

    I am looking for good Guzheng teacher in Bay Area of California. Is there anyone who knows about it? Thanks in advance.

    Jeanie

    in reply to: Wire strung harps #162383
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have a lap wire strung harp (it was a gift from my husband) but so far until I can find a teacher to teach me the dampening techniques, etc., it sits just for display and I play my regular harp.

    However, I have met 2 professional harpists in Maine, and at a concert they gave at Christmas, one was playing the wire harp and one the nylon harp.

    in reply to: cruise ship ? #152128
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi,

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166310
    unknown-user
    Participant

    HEY KE TAL, SOY IVAN DE TIJUANA BAJA CALIFORNIA MEXICO, PUES NOMAS ESCRIBO PARA SALUDARLOS Y VER

    in reply to: Memorization #89371
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Jennifer,

    An area of memorization that seems to be overlooked by many musicians is that of harmonic analysis!

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166309
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hola, mi nombre es Jordan! soy arpista Americana. Estudio espanol en mi escuela. Quiero aprender espanol y hablar con otras personas! Escriban con mi por favor!

    ingles: I am sorry if my grammar is not correct! I have only been studying for one year.

    Jordan

    in reply to: I’m new…. #167952
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Shelly,
    I’m Jordan, I’m 15 and I’ve been playing for 8 years. My aim is JoMariaHarper. I’d love to talk to you

    in reply to: Gu Zheng Chinese harp #74973
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The moveable bridges are used to chande the not of the string, when stung, on the right.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,786 through 4,800 (of 5,570 total)