harpcolumn

Eighteen- too old to start?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Eighteen- too old to start?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi, Clara!
    In my opinion, it’s never too late to start, and you will see many, many people on this discussion board who did not take up the harp until much later in life than 18!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey guys! Im an 18 year old living in New Zealand and recently I’ve
    seriously been considering taking up harp lessons…I’ve always been
    somewhat fascinated by the soothing beauty of its sound, and the
    rarity of the instrument itself..
    Do you reckon its too late to learn a new instrument at age 18? Im
    not sure if this will help but Ive played piano for 10 years and
    violin for 5 and half years…but then they are completely different
    instruments, so Im kinda bit lost here..
    I honestly wish I’d started out earlier but I now just want to take
    up the chance before it is too late..
    Also, how long does it usually take to become proficient in playing
    harp?I mean, like a professional. heh sounds impatient I know but
    just curious 😛
    It’ll be awesome if you guys could reply to my question, I’ve
    searched here and there all around the web before I stumbled into
    here and you guys really seem to know heaps about playing harp.

Cheers!

Eighteen is definitely not too late.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I didn’t decide to play harp until right after my freshman year of high school, when I was 14.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello! thank you all for your responses, it is definitely encouraging and I cant wait to play harp! 😀

unknown-user
    Participant

i was a music education major in college (my main instrument was bassoon), and i am now
    working in a mortgage office. i’m 25 and i just bought my harp, and just began lessons
    last month! i’m not to hot yet, but being able to read music already definately accelerates
    your learning! it’s nice because you can focus on your technique instead of what a quarter
    note is! this website is defniately lots of help! they helped me decide which harp to buy
    and everything!
    good luck with your adventures!

unknown-user
    Participant

You’re never too old to do anything. That’s what is so great about the human mind and spirit. We can do anything we put our minds to. (Okay, I just really sounded like a motivational speaker right there. Sorry.)
    Anyway, there is no “proper” age to begin the harp. However, if you wanted to go pro, then it would be beneficial to begin at a younger age. But that is not to say that you can’t go pro starting now. Anyway, I’m not making much sense today, but good luck! You have our support and well-wishing!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Clara!

unknown-user
    Participant

With 10 years of piano, you’ll be fine.

I started harp at around 29 or 30, with a bachelor’s degree on trombone, and experience playing many other instruments.

unknown-user
    Participant

Pssh… you’re never two old to start the harp. Also, unlike the violin(well, and most other instruments for that matter) harp sounds good whether you’ve played for 10 minutes or 10 years. With you’re experience on the piano you shouldn’t have any problem at all. My teacher says that they aren’t too dissimilar.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everyone…! Again thank you very much for your lovely comments..:D
    wow I cant believe how 6 months went by so quickly!!!!
    I’ve definitely taken up more courage after reading you guys comments…and after months of convincing my parents…
    IM FINALLY GETTING STARTED ON HARP!! YAYYY!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D!!!!
    And it is all thanks to you guys!! 😀
    This holidays I was actually intending to upgrade my violin to better one, but honestly I think I’ve had enough of violin…and not trying to sound full of myself or anything, but although im currently studying for Grade 8 I dont think I’ll have a chance

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.