unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,771 through 4,785 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166312
    unknown-user
    Participant

    que tal pues aki iavn y yo andamos en la cd de mexico (df) grabando

    in reply to: Harp Teachers in the Central New York area #89321
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Joyce –

    Actually I’m part of the Rochester Harp Network.

    in reply to: confused.. #166914
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Christy,

    I agree whole heartedly that piano is too common! There are so many pianist out there that you have to be very good to ever do anything with your music. Where as harp, there always seems to be something out there that people want a harpist for.

    I have only recently started playing the harp (about a year now), and absolutly LOVE it! I would highly recomend learning the harp. I also played the piano for several years before I started harp, and found that it was very helpful in the prosses of learning harp.

    Another thing is that I would definitely get a teacher for the at least the first year or so! There are so many posture and technique things to learn, that it is very important while you are getting started.

    I hope that this has been helpful…And keep us posted on your decisions!

    -Shelley

    in reply to: Which type of wood is best? #167624
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, if I may contribute with my humble knowledge…

    Yes, cedar is a somewhat common wood for soundboards (not nearly as common as, say, spruce? lol).

    in reply to: Boieldieu harp concerto question #151626
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You may be interested to know that Lyon & Healy has just published my string quartet reduction of the orchestral accompaniment for this concerto (and also the Dittersdorf, Mozart, and Pierne Concertstuck).

    in reply to: Flute and harp repertoire ideas. #149492
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Just a question: what is the difficulty of “Song of the Lark”? My flutist and I are looking for something at the level of Debussy’s trio. Is it comparable?

    Thanks!

    in reply to: UK – Student Rental Harps… Inquiry #89398
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Pilgrim Harps are definately the cheapest for Harp rental, and amazing, friendly people to deal with. They also don’t mind how long you want to rent the Harp for, where as Clive Morley tend only to rent for a max of 12 months and their prices are quite steep (or so I understand) I know for sure they are almost doble what pilgrim charge. The only drawback I’ve had with Pilgrims Harps is their pedal action isn’t as smooth as some of the other makes I’ve tried but personally I don’t mind this much. I had to wait almost 6 months before a pedal harp became available to rent, so it might be a good idea to give them a call and put your name on their waiting list even if you decided not to hire from them?

    Hope it helps!

    Gareth~

    in reply to: Boieldieu harp concerto question #151623
    unknown-user
    Participant

    well I’m just learning it as well, and i was listening to a recording
    of zabaleta playing it, and at the very beginning of the 3rd
    movement, it sounds like he takes the first note of the “series”in
    the right hand with the left-you know, the note that comes twice
    then. I’ve found that I can jump with the left hand easily and it’s
    easier for the right hand as well. I don’t have the sheet music
    here right now, but I can check what fingerings I’m using for you.
    some of them (with a bit of practice ;-) ) work fine. Katrina

    in reply to: 16 yr old guy from sydney aus. Help! #167919
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Personally, I have no experience with woodwork, so I would never make my own harp. If you do, you could consider this, but I recommend getting a ready-made. You could rent a harp. There are teachers who offer lessons and rentals, though I don’t know of any in Sydney.
    Just a side note, avoid harps on ebay or the internet in general, particularly the lap harps unless you see a brand name you know ex: Swanson, Lyon and Healy, Salvi, Triplett etc.

    in reply to: looking for a teacher for beginning 12 year old #167934
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well if you don’t mind driving to Walnut Creek, my teacher is Jessica Tonti. She’s listed under the L&H harp dealers, Harps Etc. She teaches both piano and harp, in addition to renting out Lyon and Healy and Salvi harps.

    in reply to: methods for teaching very young students #89403
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have been teaching young harpists and no prior musical training students for years and have estalished a well-working system. FYI.

    1. colorful strings matching notes

    2. reading LETTER (A-G) and playing children songs, i.e. Mary had a little lamb, row your boat, etc. finger 2 only though. Thumb up for sure.

    3. try not to teach a new musician to read staff and notes too fast. Values of notes and reading grand staff are different concepts to teach seprately, and later to combine those information together. It usually takes a couple of months for such a young age to get them remembered. Make it fun!

    Hope this helps.

    Sonya Yu

    in reply to: Memorization #89373
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh crap… I’m the absolute worst at memorizing, but I have learned some memorization techniques in college that have helped even me.

    I was taught to memorize phrase by phrase. I took one phrase per day and practiced it over and OVER again until I had it. Then, each day after that, I’d add one or two phrases (depending on the size of the phrase and composition) on top of the one I already learned. I just kept adding them until I was finished with the piece.

    Another idea is to colour coat the phrases. For example, colour all of the “A” phrases red, the “A1” phrases pink, the “B” phrases green, and the “C” phrases purple, or whatever you’d like. This really helped me, especially during lessons. My professor would say “you need to work on the red phrases” or “I want to have everything up the the purple phrase memorized.” I know that may seem a bit puerile, but since I struggle with memorization, it really helped to visualize the notes in colour in my mind.

    Some musicians who are much better at memorizing will do a page per day or two days. I think it just depends on how quickly everything sinks in, and how much you panic about memorization. (Suzanne= much panicking)

    Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck. What are you memorizing currently?

    in reply to: methods for teaching very young students #89401
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I don’t teach harp (sorry…), but I do teach violin, and the Suzuki method and/or books seem to work well as a beginning method for every instrument. The songs are simple, and introduce new concepts at a fair pace. Sorry I don’t help very much…I’m kind of self taught on harp. Good luck and I hope OTHER PEOPLE ON HERE will answer your questions. (lol) Have a good one…

    in reply to: confused.. #166913
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I played violin for 10 years for picking up harp, and I’m self-taught. If you really want to play the harp, then just do it. Find a harp, and just PLAY! If you can’t afford one on your own (and don’t worry, not many can…), then just tell your parents that you’re really interested in harp, and that you need their help to pay for it. FYI, lever harps run between $2,500 and $5,000. Pedal harps, depending on brand, model, and size, will run from $8,000-$50,000. Rental payments will vary per music store, and harp brand, but can run from $50 a month, to about $300 a month.
    I know you didn’t ask for prices, but I’m sure you needed to know. The harp is a wonderful, unique, and FUN instrument to learn, so have fun while learning! If you parents worry about the money, tell them that in about 2 or 3 years when you have acquired the necessary technique and repertoire, then you can play for weddings and funerals and so on, and earn money there.
    I agree that piano is too common…they’re EVERYWHERE: church, home, school, sometimes work (well for me), etc.
    Good luck, and feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of. We’re here to help you and support you! Have a good day!

    in reply to: How to get involved with competions? #167936
    unknown-user
    Participant

    yaahh youth competitions are cool!

Viewing 15 posts - 4,771 through 4,785 (of 5,570 total)