unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,231 through 4,245 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Practicing #167531
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi SM,
    My name is Liz and I’ve been playing the harp for about 4 and 1/2 years. My belief is that how long you practice totally depends on what you want to do in the future, how busy you are now, how long you have been playing, and how advanced you are. When I first started on a lever harp when I was 11, I practiced about an hour a day. But when I upgraded to a pedal harp, I started practicing in the 2-3 hour range. Now that I’m in high school, my practice time has come very valuable. I go straight to diving practice after school every other day, and have track on the other days. Once a week, I also have youth orchestra, and then I of course have harp, trumpet, piano, and cello lessons. I also did swimming and soccer during the fall and winter. So as you can see, practicing duration depends on the individual. Do as much as works for you, and make sure you dont push yourself too much. And since, I would intending to head to a college and majoring in harp, I’m doing my share of fitting in about 3 hours a day. Of course, I dont get to sleep until about midnight! Feel free to email, if you have anymore questions or just want to chat about harp and youth orchestras!
    musicmadness1010@sbcglobal.net

    in reply to: Any young harpists want to chat? #167518
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hey!! my name is victoria , I’m french girl, and I’m 16. I would like to speak with american people . So if you want to write me ==>vic089@hotmail.com
    byee

    in reply to: Practicing #167528
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Check the Ametuer Harpist forum and click on “How long do YOU practice” for some helpful info.

    :-)

    in reply to: Practicing #167530
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The time length of practice isn’t important, but how and what you practice is.

    in reply to: Pedal harp in Eastern America #167544
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The Virginia Harp Center has two locations in Richmond, VA and Haddonfield NJ, and the Harp Connection in Salem, Mass. is a fine store. You can also order directly from the Lyon & Healy factory or visit there or any of these places to pick one out. You are prepared to pay enough to get what you need. I recommend the L&H Style 23, or Salzedo. If you search you will find many other makers and dealers as well.

    in reply to: Mideast Harps #68284
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think you two should just agree to disagree on this matter!

    in reply to: Mideast Harps #68287
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I remember being at a harp recital once where a girl used a Mideastern Megan harp. After she played, some of us harpest ( 22 harpest were there. ) commented on how surprised we were at the great sound. And she didn’t play any easy piece. She did say she changed out the levers, but it had the original strings.

    Also my harp teacher has a L&H Folk harp that we can’t believe how bad it sounds. I guess you just never know.

    in reply to: Pedal harp in Eastern America #167543
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Charis,

    Venus harps can fit you with a lovely two-toned Classic Concert Grand, for $19,350 ($17,850 for the basic model + $1,500 for custom two toned finish).

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166345
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hola mi nombre es Angel tolosa moreno soy venezolano y ejecuto el arpa venezolana. mi maestro es Carlos Orozco tambien venezolano. quisiera tener mas contacto con ustedes y comapartir aspectos de las arpas que ustedes ejecutal. queria comentarles que el dia 8 de julio del 2005 estare dando un concierto en la ciudad de mexico junto con unas danzas de venezuela. quisiera conocerlos personalmente si se puede…saludos colegas. se me olvidaba tengo 25 a?os de edad y mi correo es: angeltolosamoreno@hotmail.com chao……….

    in reply to: What is memorization to you? #89071
    unknown-user
    Participant

    After reading all of this technical talk, I have decided to just go ahead and play everything by heart.

    in reply to: Schools of Thought in Harp Technique? #89135
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Of course, we all know that Salzedo was himself FRENCH and trained by the same teacher, Alphonse Hasselmans, and taught FRENCH technique, albeit with his improvements. Just because he lived in America doesn’t make him any less French than Monsieur Grandjany, does it? It’s just kind of funny how he is made to sound outcast from dear old France. Salzedo was the only harpist to win premier prix on the same day in harp and piano. Bernard Zighera won both but in different years. Having seen a brief clip of Salzedo playing, I don’t think anyone could or ever will play as fast as he could. I believe the difference between Grandjany technique and French technique is whether or not your knuckles curve in or out.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157823
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Turpentine soaking………Turpentine is toxic and your skin is the largest organ in your body.

    in reply to: What is memorization to you? #89070
    unknown-user
    Participant

    HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY H

    Well, what do you know? It didn’t fit! All the hissys that fit, we print.

    in reply to: Schools of Thought in Harp Technique? #89133
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thankyou for your help – I did not realise that this subject was quite so sensitive! Obviously I have been somewhat sheltered from this debate up til now. I do not think I will try to categorise my technique for my students, as I think I have probably benefitted from not subscribing to one type of technique or the other but simply following my teacher’s advice and striving for a technique that produces the best tone – although as a teacher, I would like to be well informed, in case questions arise. I am also aware that there may be technical ideas that which I could adopt – whichever school of thought they come from. This is why I am doing my research! I have obtained a copy of the Salzedo/Lawrence tutor book to educate myself – and the brand new ‘The Book of the Harp’ (great read) to help me understand the different schools of thought in harp technique.

    Thankyou for setting me out on the right foot.

    in reply to: What is memorization to you? #89067
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There are several resources that I draw upon from my experiences in learning music.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,231 through 4,245 (of 5,570 total)