harpcolumn

Schools of Thought in Harp Technique?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Schools of Thought in Harp Technique?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Is that the sound of a bomb going off that I hear???!!!

unknown-user
    Participant

TOO LATE!!!Exercises, etudes are not the only choices, as we already discussed in another thread. Both can be drawn from repertoire exclusively. However, I support the use of both as well. And the biggest question is, how do you get students to actually sign up and pay? How typical of a college to think you can simply work up a plan and implement it. Good luck with your endeavor.

Tacye
    Participant

Surely one of the strengths of individual (or small group) tuition is the ability of the teacher to respond to the students and not push different people through the same method book or curriculum?

unknown-user
    Participant

I am a final year music college student studying the pedal harp. For

my dissertation I am setting up a private teaching practice, which

includes designing a curriculum for harp technique. I am currently

identifying the aspects of technique that need to be taught to a

beginner and the order in which these might be introduced. Whilst I

am happy with my own technique (or at least with what I am working

towards) I would like to be more aware of different styles of

technique – to inform my own, if necessary, or to understand any

students who I teach which have been already been taught using a

different style. I have not had many different teachers or met many

other harpists so I am not aware of different techniques, but I get

the drift that there are different schools of thought – Salzedo, and

maybe French…Would someone summarise them for me so that I know

how to direct my research? Any general guidance or hints would be

very much appreciated.I am still sifting through the questions and

answers already submitted on this forum, so I realise my question

may have already been partly answered.

Many thanks,

Hannah Cannell

There is a long discussion about the differences between Salzedo and Grandjany

techniques somewhere else in the Discussion Groups. Have fun reading through the

tremendous number of opinions!

carl-swanson
    Participant

The (heated) discussions are about differences between the Salzedo and

unknown-user
    Participant

Thankyou for your help – I did not realise that this subject was quite so sensitive! Obviously I have been somewhat sheltered from this debate up til now. I do not think I will try to categorise my technique for my students, as I think I have probably benefitted from not subscribing to one type of technique or the other but simply following my teacher’s advice and striving for a technique that produces the best tone – although as a teacher, I would like to be well informed, in case questions arise. I am also aware that there may be technical ideas that which I could adopt – whichever school of thought they come from. This is why I am doing my research! I have obtained a copy of the Salzedo/Lawrence tutor book to educate myself – and the brand new ‘The Book of the Harp’ (great read) to help me understand the different schools of thought in harp technique.

Thankyou for setting me out on the right foot.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Don’t overlook Renie’s Method for the Harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

Of course, we all know that Salzedo was himself FRENCH and trained by the same teacher, Alphonse Hasselmans, and taught FRENCH technique, albeit with his improvements. Just because he lived in America doesn’t make him any less French than Monsieur Grandjany, does it? It’s just kind of funny how he is made to sound outcast from dear old France. Salzedo was the only harpist to win premier prix on the same day in harp and piano. Bernard Zighera won both but in different years. Having seen a brief clip of Salzedo playing, I don’t think anyone could or ever will play as fast as he could. I believe the difference between Grandjany technique and French technique is whether or not your knuckles curve in or out.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Improvements??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies