harpcolumn

What is memorization to you?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp What is memorization to you?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

There are several resources that I draw upon from my experiences in learning music.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve had some exposure to solfege and have an understanding of how it is useful. In most of my training we used scale degree numbers. This was useful for its direct correlation to analysis, and you become familiar with how various scale degrees tend to resolve. We sang single syllables for each so seven was reduced to “sev”, etc. This has some limitations, but I use it when sightreading and it is quite helpful. When I practice I repeat phrases and passages and get out of the music early on, so by the time a performance comes, it’s familiar on a deeper level. I’ve found that when repeating a passage it takes a few times to get it just right, then if I keep repeating it goes through one more phase where it gets shaky, but if I keep going it solidifies it on a deeper level. For me technical achievement on a passage usually coincides with memorization.

alexander-rider
    Participant

och you’re all so clever. I’m not sure I have a systemn! yah yah. philistine… :p

unknown-user
    Participant

HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY HISSY H

Well, what do you know? It didn’t fit! All the hissys that fit, we print.

unknown-user
    Participant

After reading all of this technical talk, I have decided to just go ahead and play everything by heart.

Muriel Denoix-Eaton
    Participant

I can’t let this subject pass without saying anything.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.