Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
Participant“And they already have a harpist, one of those lucky people who has a huge gold-plated harp.” – I know EXCACTLY what you’re talking about. May I rant for a moment?
In May 2004, I auditioned for the preparatory orchestras in the New England Conservatory- those are the student orchestras that rehearse weekly, and put on Winter/Spring concerts. Up until then I had played with Greater Boston’s Youth Symphony Orchestras- a group that was very similar to the one I was auditioning for.
Now, In the New England Conservatory, there are 3 fully symphonic orchestras- Youth Repertory, (Intermediate/Advanced) Youth Symphony (Advanced) and Youth Philharmonic (very highly advanced). When I auditioned, I got a letter in mail saying that I was recommended to (by the audition staff) for Youth Symphony OR Youth Philharmonic- depending on availablity, and that they would me know which one in the coming weeks. I was absolutely ecstatic. I was so happy I could play with such a prestigious group of people, and be in the presence of so many great musicians.
NOW, jumping ahead 3 months. It’s August 2004. I participated in a summer orchestra program at the conservatory. In the orchestra was a rich, snobby girl, who we will refer to as “Harpist A”. She was okay, but didn’t have a good understanding of what it was like to be in an orchestra, and she didn’t really have a good sense of musicianship… and what was worse, she didn’t really seem like she wanted to learn. She was one of those people that was BORN into wealth, and her “daddy” buys her everything she wants. She told be she owned a Gold 23 (Runs for about $40,000) and
unknown-user
ParticipantWell here’s what happened: When I was 11, I auditioned for the preparatory orchestras and didn’t get in. That summer, I practiced an enormous amount, then auditioned for that summer program and got in. I decided to audition for the preparatory orchetras again when I was 14- last year.
I saved up for my pedal harp for 4 years- essentially, when I was 9, I started raising money doing chores, walking dogs, mowing lawns- any way for me to put a couple of bucks in my pocket. And once I did, I put that money right into my back account. I started on pedal harp in April 2003, I was 13. I bought a Daphne 47 EX- it was a new model at the time, it’s a wonderful full size concert grand with extended soundboard. Usually I just tell people I have an Aurora, becuase whenever people hear “Daphne” they think of petite harps, and the Aurora is almost identical to mine.
How long have you played the harp? I’d ask your teacher if you’re ready to move to pedal.
I would not suggest purchasing pedal harps from any company ACCEPT for Lyon and Healy, Salvi, Venus, Camac or Swanson. There are other brands out there that sell outrageously underpriced instruments, which I am TOTALLY sketched out by.
My teacher, in addition to a marvelous L&H Style 23, also has a Style 85 Petite harp (which I have played on a few times). And now, thinking about it, I suppose it may be appropriate for a youth orchestra. Although it’s quite small, it has an amazingly big voice for it’s size. Perhaps you should talk to your teacher about it.
I, too, am looking for a semi-grand or petite harp to make gigging easier. Although I probably won’t be able to save up for another one until senior year in high school or beggining of college, I’ve been contemplating which ones might be most appropriate for me. I’m also contemplating selling my Troubador IV which I got 5 years ago, which will greatly help me on my way to purchasing a semi grand/petite.
From what I gather, these are some of the most affordable harps out there:
http://www.lyonhealy.com/products/lyonhealy/pedal/85b.html
http://www.harpconnection.com/SalviUSA/Aurora.html
^^^about $18,000
http://www.harpconnection.com/SalviUSA/Orchestra.html
^^^^now available with extended soundboard! hooray! about $15,000
http://www.harpconnection.com/SalviUSA/Sinfonietta.html
^^^about $14,500
http://www.harpconnection.com/SalviUSA/Daphne.htmlHere are the Daphnes. They range from about $12,000 to $16,000 for the Daphne 47 EX
Best wishes on finding
unknown-user
ParticipantStupid me! Make sure to look at the classifieds for this site!http://www.harpcolumn.com/gc/index.tcl

unknown-user
ParticipantI’m a little bit concerned about teaching students to play on your left shoulder. I’ve never even heard of any one playing on their left shoulder. My opinion would be if you learned it that way, you might as well keep it that way, but i would NOT teach students incorrectly! Isn’t it awkward on your left shoulder… don’t the tuning pegs whack you in the head?
Concerned,
unknown-user
ParticipantOh! Well what do you know?
I never knew other people played on their left. Congratulations on your progress! Make sure you let is know how it tunrs out. 
Steve
unknown-user
ParticipantSM-
It’s really not a matter of finding repertoire and playing it, it’s a matter of getting involved with orchestras/ensembles/recitals/etc that require to learn the repertoire. So get off your bum and audition for an orchestra.
Kidding, kidding. How old are you anyhow? If your interested in youth orchestras (if you’re pre-college age) then go on http://www.yahoo.com and search “youth orchestras in _______ (your state)”. That’s what I did, and that’s how I first learned about NEC when I was about 11 (New England Conservartory… where I’ve been doing a big part of my orchestra playing these days). I’d strongly encourage you to do a youth orchestra, it’s a whole lot more fun than playing alone!!! 
Best regards,
unknown-user
ParticipantCall them! E-mail them! Send letters to them! Harrass the living daylights out of them! Well, maybe that’s a bit extreme, but maybe you should call them and inquire about auditioning. And if you can’t find a telephone number to contact them with, then find out the rehearsal times, and have a chat with the conductor after one of the rehearsals. If they don’t have any info for you, then I’m sure they can lead you to a different orchestra. Maybe you should try a community orchestra? I play flute and piccolo with a community band over the summer, and it’s great fun!!

Best luck! Let us know how it turns out!

-Steve
unknown-user
ParticipantUn saludo a todos los arpistas latinoamericanos, queria comentarles que estare en Mexico el Dia 8 de Julio de este a?o, y luego en los angeles, san francisco, san diego y new york en representacion de mi pais… estare interpretando piezas de mi maestro Carlos Orozco quisiera ponerme en contacto con algunos de ustedes mi correo es ANGELTOLOSAMORENO@HOTMAIL.COM
unknown-user
ParticipantIf it works? Why fix it? I won’t. (I am assuming the way you play really works, since you said you’ve been playing this way for 45 years)If I were you, I would teach my students the way I play too. I would be very curious to see how you play!
unknown-user
ParticipantThere’s also the scene in the first Harry Potter film, although it’s playing itself. I also had a friend who played the talking harp in a filmed Jack and the Beanstalk panto, but that probably doesn’t count.
April 18, 2005 at 4:00 am in reply to: 38 string lever harps Salvi Ana and L&G Prelude – teacher advice sought #89126unknown-user
Participantive only had my new harp around six months but if you get the proffesional leaver harp also known as
unknown-user
ParticipantHola! Saludos a todos los Arpistas Latinos, en especial los que tuvieron la iniciativa de crear este espacio para discutir aspectos importantes de este instrumento tan interesante. Veo que los ultimos que han escrito, son Venezolanos, por ahi lei un peque?o escrito de mi compa?era y amiga Galaxia… bien yo estudio arpa de pedales en Venezuela desde hace 7 a?os con la Exelente Maestra Annette Leon, Me gustaria intercambiar ideas, conocimientos, informacion,etc… espero que se mantegan en contacto y veo que somos muchos… Bien, tratare de escribir en una proxima oportunidad. Un afectuoso Saludo para todos!!!
unknown-user
ParticipantOlvide colocar mi msn es roansa@hotmail.com
unknown-user
ParticipantHOLA soy de venezuela mi nombre es jesus alberto rosales toco
unknown-user
ParticipantHOLA soy de venezuela mi nombre es jesus alberto rosales toco
-
AuthorPosts