unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,126 through 4,140 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Colleges…..for majoring in Harp Performance #167363
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yale has undergrad too, my sister is looking into it http://www.yale.edu/yalemus/
    undergrad.html

    in reply to: Getting blisters on fingers #155505
    unknown-user
    Participant

    When I have heavy-duty practice time (That is, about 6 hours a day) I get these annoying bubbles on my skin. When I pop them (usually with like my teeth or something) this water-like stuff comes out, and then the remaining deflated bubble turns into a lovely callus. Great image, no? The bubbles hurt like hell though.

    Now that school’s out for the summer, and BUTI is looming near, I’m having more and more heavy-duty practice days. Oiy.

    in reply to: Getting blisters on fingers #155506
    unknown-user
    Participant

    hmmmm I disagree with most people here….. I don’t think you should want for your
    fingers to harden because the sound is not as nice as with soft fingers…. then again I
    practice ALOT ALOT like Steven and spend a ton of time on etudes and exercises which
    give me awful blisters.. the same kind of water blister that Steven gets. So I know its
    annoying and that the blisters are kind of a way to show off how long you practice (kinda
    like a violin hickey) but you really have to stop playing as soon as you feel any kind of pain
    and wash your hands under hot water and apply some kind of hand lotion. And yeah
    everybodys fingers react differently to playing, mine even change by seasons. Its really
    great that you’re starting out practicing enough to get blisters…. when I started I had to be
    forced to practice lol! Well speaking of practicing I need to go and do some
    Good luck!
    Maddie

    in reply to: Housing at Tanglewood #167367
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hooray!

    A problem we have not! They’re going to give me a harp to use for the six weeks. This is great news!

    Thanks for the help! I’f you hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have called.

    Thanks!

    -Steve

    in reply to: Housing at Tanglewood #167366
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you SO much for this information! Had I not known, I would have naively brought my harp and have it reduced to woodchips in the NON TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED dorms. Yikes. I just called them and I got the answering machine. If I can’t arrange to have a harp provided for me, then we’ll have a problem…

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166366
    unknown-user
    Participant

    un saludo para todos los colegas arpistas queria informarles que estare en la ciudad de mexico durante 15 dias con mi arpa venezolana en unos conciertos, la informacion esta en http://www.folkloremexico.org.mx esatre acompa?ando a la compa?ia de danzas tachira un saludo fraterno…… angel tolosa

    in reply to: Crafter Harps #167395
    unknown-user
    Participant

    they are pakistani made junk harps avoid them at ALL costs. Try to get a blevins instead

    in reply to: Tanglewood #167400
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Saul, when you went to Tanglewood, what kind of place did the students store their harps in…? Was it just in the dorms, or in a different area? If it was in the dorms, then was there any temperature control available? I’m horrified that my instrument is going to take an awful beating over the course of the summer.

    in reply to: Ok guys, opinions on Camac? #165677
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I see that I failed to mention that I have rhuemetoid arthritis in my spine and knees. That’s the reason I fear moving my concert grand sometimes, that putting pressure on my joints may make it worse.

    However, this past school year (04-05) I’ve had so many rehearsals/performances, etc. for which I need to bring my CG, I’m actually getting a lot better at moving it. It used to take me a good half hour to get the 4-peice cover on, and now it only takes about 5 minutes.

    Now, my new harp-bound-saga is the wheather and all the darn strings that break. So expensive to maintain a harp…

    in reply to: Tanglewood #167399
    unknown-user
    Participant
    in reply to: pedal extenders #167409
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve never seen them as a product. You can make something to fit over the folded-up pedal I would think, or strap some blocks under her shoes.

    in reply to: Harp teacher in Geneva #89075
    unknown-user
    Participant

    geneva, IL?

    i’m looking for a teacher there too!!!

    please let me know if you have any responses!

    in reply to: college and harp #167350
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You should be able to major and harp and do clarinet as a minor at most music schools, but conservatories do frown on double majors unless you are exceptional and can perhaps prove you can keep up with the work. Biology kind of rules out conservatories that are not part of a university. Which one can’t you live without? You might find the schools in Boston more hospitable to majoring in both music and science. I don’t know how you can anticipate a school’s reasoning in acceptance. It seems to be a major concern these days. Perhaps you can consult an expert. I don’t know if MIT has a biology program, but they have a pretty good music program and a very good harp teacher.

    in reply to: Youth Orchestras in Massachusets Area #167447
    unknown-user
    Participant

    *Salivating with envy*

    in reply to: Book of graded pieces? #89012
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My French isn’t very good, but I think you may be looking for this book:

    http://www.cite-musique.fr/francais/services/boutique/notice.asp?Id=94

    In case you still can’t access the site, it says that the title is “10 ans avec la harpe” by Sylvie Beltrando and Corinne Le Du, and it seems to be out of print or out of stock (again, with reservations for my poor French). Hope this helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 4,126 through 4,140 (of 5,570 total)