Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
unknown-user
ParticipantI have had a little experience with a Mideast Heather – the only one I actually own.
unknown-user
ParticipantFYI.
unknown-user
ParticipantI always get blisters when I play for extended periods of time (like during graduation)or when playing glissandos.
unknown-user
ParticipantI’ve been playing pedal for 2 years, but I noticed that I only start to develop real blisters when I’m working on a piece with lots of rolled chords.
unknown-user
ParticipantThe International Rhythmic Collections by Alfredo Rolando Ortiz.
Both, Renaissance & Baroque Music Arranged by Deborah Friou
Sarah
unknown-user
ParticipantWell, pilgrim, I’ll meet you out front of the saloon, and we’ll see who’s left still standing. . .
Is that what I get for trying to be sincere?
It must take a W.A.S.P. (or Lutheran) to be a hornet.
Besides, what about the Croatian harp technique? And the left-handed back-facing dyslexia technique?unknown-user
ParticipantIf soft skin produces better sound maybe that’s why there are more women harpists than men harpists.
unknown-user
Participantoh dear..
unknown-user
ParticipantThe way my practice went today, I’d have to say the best technique must be the one I’m not trying to do.
unknown-user
ParticipantThe answer lies in your ears, your mind and your heart. And of course, your fingers.
unknown-user
ParticipantI can hear the bomb ticking.
unknown-user
ParticipantYou really should stop just before you get blisters, and use that point to build up from gradually. Six hours is as much as anyone should practice. It is important to keep the skin well-oiled at other times, I think for protection. I believe a bit of weakened bleach will toughen the skin, vinegar might also work. Oil will keep it supple. I prefer Nivea Skin Conditioning Lotion which has a lot of lanolin, or Bag Balm. Minimize your exposure to water which softens and weakens your calluses. Glycerin is protective, but slippery. Also file any callous that is shredding so it doesn’t peel and remove more. Wear gloves to wash dishes.
unknown-user
ParticipantNancy Lendrim in Toledo is an excellent teacher. You should call her for at least a referral. She is in the Toledo Symphony. There are tons of harpists in Ohio. Have you checked the teacher directories of the American Harp Society and the Harp Connection?
unknown-user
ParticipantThanks everyone,
Ok, I’ll tone the harp practice down a bit. It’s not as if I’m forcing myself to practice so long it’s just that I get lost in it. Once I start plucking away I get addicted and can’t stop…Lol
I have tried the short sessions suggested here and it seems to be working well if a little frustrating because my fingers are just getting warmed up in 10 mins..I’ll just trust I can go for longer periods in time.
Cheers
Claireunknown-user
ParticipantHi John,
If you haven’t gotten a teacher yet you should go with Suzanne. I have been taking lessons from her for almost a year and she is absolutely phenominal and she charges a very good price ($30 an hour). She will teach you a varity of music and if she sees that you want to learn a different type of music she will find a teacher that will teach that type. When I first started she recommended someone who taught more celtic music since that’s what I was interested in but I stayed with her and I am very pleased I did. If you do not already have a harp she will do anything to help you get one that’s suitable.
Sean -
AuthorPosts