harpcolumn

college and harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists college and harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

hi, my name is lauren and i have been playing harp for about 4
    years. I’m in my third year of high school and have begun to think
    about college.

Dear Lauren,
    In addition to conservatories, you might want to look into a liberal arts college where you can pursue academic and musical courses. I teach (and attended) Furman University where I double majored in French and harp performance.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Going off to college I wanted to either major in musical theater, or double music performance major in harp and voice.

unknown-user
    Participant

You should be able to major and harp and do clarinet as a minor at most music schools, but conservatories do frown on double majors unless you are exceptional and can perhaps prove you can keep up with the work. Biology kind of rules out conservatories that are not part of a university. Which one can’t you live without? You might find the schools in Boston more hospitable to majoring in both music and science. I don’t know how you can anticipate a school’s reasoning in acceptance. It seems to be a major concern these days. Perhaps you can consult an expert. I don’t know if MIT has a biology program, but they have a pretty good music program and a very good harp teacher.

Wow.

vince-pierce
    Participant

Hi, Lauren! I am about to enter my sophomore year in college, and I’m going to begin learning harp this fall. I go to Baylor University in Waco, Texas. I am a music education major with a concentration in clarinet and secondary in oboe. My clarinet teacher is very supportive of my learning the oboe (not so much of harp), and our pre-med and science programs are the biggest schools at Baylor. We have a very good harp teacher, Dr. Juliette Buchanan from Houston. Our music school is not small, but it is not as large as UT Austin, or UNT. We have about four harp majors at any given time, and a few non-majors taking lessons. Not that I’m trying to recruit you or anything…(even though I am), but you should look into Baylor. But I agree also that you should apply to as many schools as possible and discuss this with the clarinet professor, the harp professor, and even a biology professor. They can probably give you some good advice about which avenue to pursue. A student just graduated from here who was the first person in the 160 year history of Baylor to graduate with a Bachelor’s in Music Performance (flute) and a double minor in biology and chemistry. He’s now going to study medicine at St. Thomas’ or something in London. So it’s possible. Good luck!
    Vince

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Lauren,

I would love to see you pursue both majors and keep up both
    instruments!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.