unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,831 through 1,845 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Debussy Danses Rantses #145960
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am very hopeful. I hope she inspired him to write a superb work. Her previous commission from Moreno-Buendia resulted in one of the finest works for harp and orchestra ever composed. Previn’s record is pretty uneven, but he’s a pretty good choice. How wonderful of the orchestra to support her that way.

    in reply to: nylon #163175
    unknown-user
    Participant

    How about Renaissance?

    or, sure to please Carl,

    Salzedo

    Method

    Lawrence

    or

    ala Zlatkovsky

    or

    Harponthese

    Harptonics

    MightyTone

    etc.

    However, if there were a manufacturer apart from the brands, perhaps I should go to them. Perhaps that is why they suggested I contact D’Addario. If they would use a different material than usual, then it might work out, I guess.

    in reply to: Whoops, wrong harp! #163238
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That’s actually great advice Jennifer. I actually have a neck injury and when I first started playing again I bought a light strung lever harp, it was my physio harp.

    With time, as I gained strength, I found that playing gradually upset my neck less and i went to a L&H 85 E. Smaller and lighter – also lighter in tension – to my Salvi concert grand. I went over to the 85 E gradually, and still had days where I had “flair ups”

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111421
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Fairy,

    Sounds like a frustrating situation, waiting for a harp that you suspect is not your cup of tea!

    in reply to: My new harp!!! #111510
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Chris,

    If you know someone with a triple wheel trolley (three wheels on each side of the cart) I’d borrow it and see if that helps. The wheels turn over (kind of roll) and there is much less resistance when getting them up the stairs. It’s be really hard going pulling it up stairs with a single wheel one, as you’d have to pull the full weight.

    Best of luck with it.

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111418
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Brookster,

    Yep, that 100 of yours sounds like a real corker. I agree with your estimation of the sound = warm, resonant and rich.

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111414
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dave,

    I hope that people haven’t been cursing at you on the forum because of your love for Venus harps.

    I haven’t hid my disgust for the screaming and the threats that Denise Krasicki uses against people who badmouth the Venus brand, and that her behavior is too over-the-top for me to consider involving myself with her company.

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111413
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The very nature of the harp is for the strings to ring. The essential sound of the harp is the multiplicity of overtones produced by ringing. The ideal sound of the harp would logically be the fullest possible ringing. Somehow, the idea that a harp should not ring as much has crept into being. That might make individual notes seem clearer as there are less overtones ringing, but then there is less sound, color, projection, and less of a harp sound, more like a piano. Why play the harp if you want it to sound like something else? Adapting our music to the sound of the harp is an endless and fascinating challenge, and our techniques should be adequate to the task, rather than reduce the instrument to what I would call lower standards. It seems like a backwards kind of logic to me. Sturdier harps may last longer and need fewer repairs, but if they sound less

    in reply to: nylon #163172
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am in touch with them now, but they need to know the exact dimensions to help me find the right product and source.

    in reply to: My new harp!!! #111508
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hmmm…. well, my mother went out and bought a cart while I was at work. It’s not an official “harp trolley” etc..

    in reply to: My new harp!!! #111507
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Briggs,

    Interesting! Thanks for that Briggs.

    I note they do not recommend that you use a trolley for any long flights of stairs. Good theory, but not always possible. I can understand the concern though, it may shudder and come off the trolley, or bump constantly on the way down and rattle the action loose……

    Before I bought a trolley, I used to carry mine up

    in reply to: Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request #111538
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ….bad idea! If people assume the song is about children, people may

    in reply to: Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request #111537
    unknown-user
    Participant

    …as long as the band “goes to 11” they are fine with me.

    I’ll have to get hold of November Rain, borrow a CD and have a good listen, and check the Mendelssohn connection, as it was

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163263
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Again: Thank you and have a real nice day,

    all the best,

    Louisa

    in reply to: Play pedal harps without gut strings? #163262
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello again everybody,

    wow, this is really amazing. I didn’t expect that much answers, and they all are so helpful. Thank you all very very much for your hints and advice :o) !!!

    @ Barbara

Viewing 15 posts - 1,831 through 1,845 (of 5,570 total)