harpcolumn

Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Mullen
    Participant

A couple weekends ago I had the strangest wedding request I’ve ever encountered, and I just want to see how it stacks up.

unknown-user
    Participant

The Best of Motown for cocktail hour:)

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

This is not a “worst” experience (because it was actually a lot of fun and the people involved were lovely) but it qualifies as one of my strangest: Playing for a Druid wedding which took place on top of Glastonbury Tor (a large hill considered holy by many) in England.

For a processional, the

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I have worked regularly in a Catholic church in which there were various degrees of sophistication, both musical and liturgical, among the assigned clergy. I wound up doing all manner of things from show tunes, LOTS of secular stuff, and some woeful garbage that somebody found at a Bridal Planning Event.

The nicest ones I ever did were the ones in which the happy couple said “You’re the pros- do what you think will be nice”. For those we always knocked ourselves out.

john-strand
    Participant

Quite a few years ago – bride and groom INSISTED on the “Pink Panther Theme” as the bridal march – seems they had met on a blind date and gone to that movie – since it was that special, I suggested they use a tape of the real music for that part, and I did everything else – it was a bit of a jolt as the last bridesmade got to the altar to the Canon on harp and then suddenly da da –da da– dat da

diane-michaels
    Spectator

Hi, Sarah!

I refused one tune once – the bride wanted “Fever” (the tune Peggy Lee was known for) as her processional.

erin-wood
    Participant

I would definitely lose my sanity if I had to play Somewhere in Time for that long.

gorman-jones
    Participant

As organist, I was onced asked to play “Send in the Clowns” for the seating of the mothers at a wedding.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

>last year a couple wanted their two dogs in the processional

c-k
    Participant

“Sweet Georgia Brown” (Globe Trotters Theme) for the recessional.

“Time to Say Goodbye” for the bridal march–that one actually worked pretty well.

“Proud Mary” at the reception–got a

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

I don’t know if this story is apocryphal or not – and I’m not sure whether American readers are familiar with the television series about Robin Hood which appeared on the BBC some years ago.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

One bride was a professional singer/dancer in shows on Broadway and cruise ships, and she wanted “Ease on Down the Road” from The Wiz for their recessional. I said it could be done but would lose a lot in the translation. Fortunately she thought better of the idea when she realized most guests wouldn’t get the connection without the words and agreed to something more traditional. This was not in a church.

unknown-user
    Participant

Malta almost all of the wedding cermonies we get are in catholic churhes, and it has always been known that for the processional all types of musicians play/or sing the Ave Maria – Gounod. However for one particular wedding I was asked to play Walking in the air for the processional.

Most of the time it’s because of the words.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics