harpcolumn

Play pedal harps without gut strings?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Play pedal harps without gut strings?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, yes, and if you really want to get into it, nylon is made from coal, which also is made from dead critters, so I guess it’s all pretty much a question of timeframe.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Incidentally, Gwyneth Wentinck is a vegan. I’m not sure how she deals with these issues with her own harp, but on tour she does just play regular harps with regular stringing.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

This is for the harp builders out there:

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’ve been wondering about that myself, Diane. I don’t think anyone uses real shellac anymore, so finishes shouldn’t be a problem, and I know that synthetic glue is used for some aspects, like laying up columns, but I do wonder if any maker still uses hide glue for anything these days.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant
    From my view in
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

I just see this… here in Europe many harpmaker of lever harps use real shellac for finish.

Regards

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Really, Bernhard? That’s very interesting. I can’t think of any US maker who does now. Most use some kind of nitrocellulose lacquer.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Yes,

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello again everybody,

wow, this is really amazing. I didn’t expect that much answers, and they all are so helpful. Thank you all very very much for your hints and advice :o) !!!

@ Barbara

unknown-user
    Participant

Again: Thank you and have a real nice day,

all the best,

Louisa

Fairy Reel
    Participant

My cat is rather impartial, actually. My dogs consider the harp a big thing in the way of my lap, and why am I paying attention to that when I could be playing with them??? My only pet that likes my harp is my rabbit, actually. He mostly lives outside but when he does come inside to visit, he loves music! Just have to keep him from getting too close…yummy wooden instruments are oh so appealing to little bunnies!

(My cat only is interested in music when there is a flute/recorder playing. Then she gets all excited! But the harp produces no reaction.)

Good luck!

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

Since you are in Germany have you considered the nice little pedal harps they make in Austria? These harps have pedals, are smaller than a full size (nice and light) and are strung in nylon. They are also very well priced compared to a regular pedal harp.

Here’s some examples…
    http://www.muernseer-harps.com/

And you hear what they sound like on YouTube here…

http://uk.youtube.com/user/ullii

Gillian

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies