unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,681 through 1,695 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Things not to say to a non playing spouse #111290
    unknown-user
    Participant

    What??? That man has seriously lost his taste and

    in reply to: Harpo Marx Piece #111275
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here’s a thought- since it’s available on the website, could you have someone transcribe it for you from there? I doubt that it was ever available as sheet music.

    in reply to: Left hand issues…. #166805
    unknown-user
    Participant

    It isn’t just what you do, but how you do it. I would alternate periods of faster practice 4321 with slow practice, playing firmly but without stiffness, and relaxing fully between each note. Also playing other patterns will help, 3421, 4231, 4123, 4132, 3214, etc., on cegc and other triads or seventh chords. The left hand needs extra time. It is also often not nearly as bad as one thinks. It just feels that way.

    in reply to: UC programs? #166497
    unknown-user
    Participant

    They used to, I think. I think a few of them may do so now. I can recommend highly Karen Thielen, who teaches at San Jose State University. Is Redlands a UC campus? I think if you were at the major campuses, there would be a teacher available in the area, if not on faculty.

    in reply to: The 50th percentile harpist #111300
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I certainly feel like I am working at 50% of my full capacity when I am practicing, at least 50% of the time. Does that add up to 100%?

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73143
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Leigh,

    Thank you for your reaction and honest advice ! I have made a choice and ordered a Sierra 36, mainly because it has a slightly larger soundbox (I have a minor hearing problem in my right ear since a year ago) than the 34.

    As I (already!) broke the top ‘A’ string from the harp I’m renting at present, I’ll make sure to have spare strings with me at all times in the future…

    In the meantime I’m practising almost every day for about 20 minutes with Sylvia Woods on dvd and a beginner’s harp playing book from Laurie Riley. It’s fun but hard at the same time, but wow what a sound…Do you know how long it takes before the sound of a new Triplett has matured ?

    The Triplett dealer here in the Netherlands (dealer for Europe) has been ever so helpfull and friendly too.The lady, called Ans, sells them from her lovely home in Mijdrecht where I will be picking up my Sierra within about 6 weeks from now ( I ordered it 2 weeks ago) It is walnut with maple like yours.. You can ofcourse imagine how excited I am. It is like waiting for a loved one! A treasure from a far and exotic place.

    I’m 43 years old now and I have more patience and discipline than twenty years ago, and I wish I had that then. A late starter but hey, beter late than never, right ?

    Happy harping to you too!

    Martine

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157877
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have had psoriasis all my life; The ends of my fingers – crack, split and get really tender;

    in reply to: Dvds/Videos #161688
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Jan for the link! Great! Will now go and take a look at it! Kind regards – William

    in reply to: Dvds/Videos #161687
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Saul! Thanks again for your input! I will actually contact our local pbs channel here in Charlotte to find out times that they might be broadcasting this… Also our University channels puts on quite a bit of “arts” video footage – might be worth while for me to contact them as well… Thanks for the tip!

    in reply to: Dvds/Videos #161686
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Patricia! Great insight – will definitely try to head (up) to Virginia Harp Center – or (down) to Atlanta Harp Center = I’m kind of in the middle here in Charlotte NC!! Kind regards – William

    in reply to: The 50th percentile harpist #111299
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’d say that most of us out there are the every-day-garden-variety gigging harpists that get the occassional really amazingly amazing gig, and the rest of the time we do what we can to

    in reply to: Radio controlled replacement technology for pedal harps #68584
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hmm…bearing in mind I’ve never personally played a cross-strung nor inline chromatic harp, I really can’t see much difference in the overall learning curve and effort required to get to a certain standard of improvisational jazz on either cross-strung, inline chromatic, pedal, or lever harp.They all have their pros and cons and idiosyncrasies.

    Verlene Schermer teaches jazz and improvisation on cross-strung and diatonic harps, and has published a couple of books on jazz chords for cross-strung harp.

    Probably the only way to really tell what would suit you would be to try out various kinds of harps.

    in reply to: Dvds/Videos #161683
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry, it’s not there yet. I don’t have a dvd drive to upload it from. Several people have copies, and you can catch sometimes on public tv on the Classic Arts Showcase, which is where it was captured from. It’s not public domain, exactly, or might be, but it’s not on the market either. That said, your teacher is your most important source. And reading the Method carefully, just don’t take arms parallel to the floor too literally, it just means elbows up enough for the arm to support the hands and transfer force from your back. Who are you studying with?

    in reply to: The 50th percentile harpist #111298
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am proud to be middlebrow.

    in reply to: Dvds/Videos #161682
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Wow – Thank you Saul for the insight! I think I will get her dvd – and I will definitely search for her on YouTube! Kind regards – William

Viewing 15 posts - 1,681 through 1,695 (of 5,570 total)