harpcolumn

Radio controlled replacement technology for pedal harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Radio controlled replacement technology for pedal harps

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Michael,

The Wagner harp is on the Horngacher website. Rod listed the link above, but googling Horngacher harps should work.

Good luck!

john-strand
    Participant

re – your jazz inclinations and pedal work – have a listen to some of the Mimi Allen arrangements – she was particularly noted for her Gershwin arrangements and the speed and complexity of her pedal changes – also, Stella Castellucci is a marvel of jazz voicings on the harp – also noted for complex pedal work and textures – she also has a book

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I think for sheer chromatic virtuosity, nobody can equal Park Stickney.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    Tacye
    Participant

The Beckmesser is specifically designed for use in Wagner’s
    Meistersinger- a one-song harp!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Tacye,

I see the irony you’re referring to.

unknown-user
    Participant

Michael, have you considered a cross-strung harp? No levers at all, all the notes. The playing technique is a bit different, to deal with the differing planes of strings, but there are quite a few players nowadays who are very, very good. (And there are of course the Welsh and baroque triple harps, and double harps.)

Check out this page for an introduction:
    The Contemporary cross strung harp
    (lists some makers and recordings to check out, too.)

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

This site has samples from cross-strung player Skye Hulbert:
    http://members.cox.net/skyenotes/songs.html

Do you have iTunes? If so, search for Harper Tasche and you will find plenty of recordings to hear a 30 second sample of, and of course buy by individual track. Lots is folky/new-age but there are a few jazzy and classical tracks that also show the chromatic possibilities (including Joplin’s The Entertainer). Likewise you can look up Cynthia Lynn Douglass on iTunes.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hmm…bearing in mind I’ve never personally played a cross-strung nor inline chromatic harp, I really can’t see much difference in the overall learning curve and effort required to get to a certain standard of improvisational jazz on either cross-strung, inline chromatic, pedal, or lever harp.They all have their pros and cons and idiosyncrasies.

Verlene Schermer teaches jazz and improvisation on cross-strung and diatonic harps, and has published a couple of books on jazz chords for cross-strung harp.

Probably the only way to really tell what would suit you would be to try out various kinds of harps.

e-nb
    Participant

Michael, if you can create a lever harp with all the advantages of the pedal harp – especially with regard to weight and cost, I will hero-worship you! Go for it, I say!

Have you heard Catriona McKay’s music? She developed a harp in conjunction with Starfish harps in Scotland which has a chromatic octave below middle C, and the rest of the harp is diatonic. It is a compromise, but allowed her to do much more chromatic stuff than a standard lever harp. Check out her website http://web.mac.com/catrionamckay

Or her Myspace site – search for Catriona McKay in the music section.

Enjoy!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies