harpcolumn

Dvds/Videos

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Dvds/Videos

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi there! I am in the process of just beginning to get harp lessons with a teacher – but am eager to get a head start!! I wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts/has seen the following videos

unknown-user
    Participant

I don’t know what’s in the Schlomovitz Method, but I don’t think she was ever considered Salzedo trained, at least not by Miss Lawrence, who was the source. Her video is very important as a document of her playing and teaching, with excellent demonstrations by Elizabeth Morse. It is not a very professional production, unfortunately, but when Miss Lawrence got moving on a project, it had to get done regardless of minor details like sound. Her

unknown-user
    Participant

Wow – Thank you Saul for the insight! I think I will get her dvd – and I will definitely search for her on YouTube! Kind regards – William

unknown-user
    Participant

Sorry, it’s not there yet. I don’t have a dvd drive to upload it from. Several people have copies, and you can catch sometimes on public tv on the Classic Arts Showcase, which is where it was captured from. It’s not public domain, exactly, or might be, but it’s not on the market either. That said, your teacher is your most important source. And reading the Method carefully, just don’t take arms parallel to the floor too literally, it just means elbows up enough for the arm to support the hands and transfer force from your back. Who are you studying with?

William, I am familiar with the Schlomovitz Beginning Harp Book Nos 1 and 2, each with videos, produced by Salvi Harps, and featuring Renee Schlomovitz Quinn demonstrating the pieces in the books. I’m also familiar with Pamela Bruner’s Books 1 and 2, and DVD of both together, called “Play The Harp Beautifully.” Both of these publications are about the same price, and each is very good for learning the harp. Depending on which literature you wish to learn to play, I think you will find that the Bruner

jan-fetty
    Participant

If visit Pamela Bruner’s website, http://www.pamelabrunermusic.com/harp_books.php

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Patricia! Great insight – will definitely try to head (up) to Virginia Harp Center – or (down) to Atlanta Harp Center = I’m kind of in the middle here in Charlotte NC!! Kind regards – William

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Saul! Thanks again for your input! I will actually contact our local pbs channel here in Charlotte to find out times that they might be broadcasting this… Also our University channels puts on quite a bit of “arts” video footage – might be worth while for me to contact them as well… Thanks for the tip!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Jan for the link! Great! Will now go and take a look at it! Kind regards – William

unknown-user
    Participant
    Hi there,
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

Carian, not familiar with those two CDs/books, but I’ve heard great things about the Sylvia Woods’ DVD, “Teach Yourself to Play the Folk Harp”…I have the music book to that, and it’s terrific!…you might want to check out ebay for the DVD, or Amazon.com…or Sylvia Woods’ Harp Center, harpcenter.com, has them for, I think $64.00?..

Cheers,

Gloria

jan-fetty
    Participant

Carian, if you go to the virtualharpcircle group on Yahoo, I think you’ll find posts by members who use Pamela Bruner and Cindy Kleinstuber methods.

unknown-user
    Participant

Saul,

How much does Dewey Owens appear the “Method for the Harp”

brenda-lee
    Participant

Hi Saul,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.