Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Marguerite en Rouet, Op. 19 Grandjany / ed. K. Bride #61669
    Tacye
    Participant

    You may be looking for the wrong composer. Zabel’s Marguerite au Rouet is op 19 – is this the right piece?

    in reply to: What Harp Should I Get? #76845
    Tacye
    Participant

    There are many makes of gothic harps, it refers to a pointy shape of historical harp, but you mention it in conjunction with the Pixie which makes me think you are looking at the rosewood instruments made in Pakistan under various brand names, especially including Mideast. There has been a lot written about them on this forum – I see no need to repeat it as I am sure you can find it on searching.

    For an extreme budget instrument I am much more impressed by the ‘cardboard’ instruments such as the Waring harp or several others. If you can increase your budget slightly the Harpsicles are worth considering.

    in reply to: Eyelet problem #76811
    Tacye
    Participant

    John Hoare of Pilgrim advised me to use an easily heat reversible method of keeping eyelets from popping out – shellac for instance.

    in reply to: stationary nut washers #76843
    Tacye
    Participant

    It reduces the torque on the neck.

    Tacye
    Participant

    This is an original harp composition, so not something I would expect to be arranged. I would say it is intermediate difficulty overall, though some variations are easier than others.

    in reply to: Salvi Mia and 38 string harps! #76839
    Tacye
    Participant

    If it is too short then get higher legs for it. My Pilgrim Clarsach is 43″, 5 inches less than the Mia, but that is irrelevant as I have it on legs.

    in reply to: Salvi Mia and 38 string harps! #76837
    Tacye
    Participant

    I can’t particularly remember the Mia, but short harps are very common in the UK. To play them you can sit on a low stool (which is probably what you are concerned about with feeling uncomfortable) but very many people raise the harp up, either on legs or on a stand.

    in reply to: Thoughts on Fluorocarbon Strings? #76813
    Tacye
    Participant

    Just as you can have high or low tension gut and nylon strings depending on the thicknesses chosen you can string harps high, medium or low tension with Fluoro.

    in reply to: Innovations in harp design, materials and engineering #76793
    Tacye
    Participant

    And I don’t want one – I admire the innovation, but it seems a soulless tone generator rather than a warm, nuanced, individual musical instrument.

    in reply to: Eyelet problem #76806
    Tacye
    Participant

    Can you push or drill it out from the inside?

    in reply to: Innovations in harp design, materials and engineering #76789
    Tacye
    Participant

    Another innovation for you! http://www.harptronics.com/

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62524
    Tacye
    Participant

    Nerves tend to make me slow down my playing – not the best combinaion with those who zoom off!

    in reply to: Innovations in harp design, materials and engineering #76785
    Tacye
    Participant

    >Why are there no harp made of carbon fiber,
    http://www.heartlandharps.com/models.html

    >no silent harp,
    http://www.camac-harps.com/camac-harps-eng/dhcbluelight.html

    >no silent pedal actions operated by ultrasonic motors, no electric harps with built in tuners,
    There have been attempts in these directions – cost of the instrument (6 tuners cost less than 47) and expectations that our harps will still work in a century’s time are among the reasons they haven’t taken off yet.

    >no MIDI harp,
    http://www.sionedwilliams.com/midiharp.htm

    >no string made of more durable materials other than gut with similar tension and linear densities?
    http://www.savarez.fr/anglais/alliance-kf-harp-strings.html

    I could have chosen different examples – but the last few decades have had a lot of R&D, especially in lever harps. Many people, myself included prefer the sound of wood and gut, but once you know where to look (it is a smaller world than the guitar) these things exist.

    Tacye
    Participant

    I suggest finding a teacher first as they can help, and will have ideas about the right harps to learn on. Dusty Strings are in Seattle and may be useful.

    in reply to: Showing off our new harps! #112486
    Tacye
    Participant

    I spent the weekend playing this harp which had 13 strings when I got it last month and now has 32. Made by Ian Firth in 1975 you can see the similar influence (from Briggs) to Lyn’s new harp. Now it is in a fit state to be appreciated I need to find it a new home.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 1,469 total)