column

Eyelet problem

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Eyelet problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

Seems I have an eyelet problem (4th octave B). The eyelet has turned into a “Toilet seat” and has split as well. I should have looked closer after the first break but didn’t so have gone through 2 strings – UGH! I can’t get the eyelet out . . . won’t even budge! Others have popped out sometimes when I have been threading a string, but NOT this critter – it is stuck tight!

I have e-mailed my regulator and discussed it with my instructor. My instructor says that it might be super-glued in there . . . great!

Any one else have this problem? What did you do? My harp is an 85E Concertino with brass eyelets.

Kay

kay-lister

No one’s had this problem?? Hmmmmm . . . gotta make a 7 hour round trip to get the tech. to help me – bummer!

Tacye
    Participant

Can you push or drill it out from the inside?

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hello Kay. It is almost certainly not super-glued in. Typically you can push these things out from inside the body with the right tool. The trick of course is that you need a replacement. Your technician should certainly be able to advise you on what to do, and I can’t imagine he or she would recommend you drive a 7-hour round trip to do it! Seriously it should not be that complex.

Good luck…

kay-lister

Hi Hugh,

Well, I e-mailed Natalie at L&H and yes, the little suckers ARE glued in. Oh well, my son and his wife live about 20 minutes away from VA Harp Center so I get a visit out of my trip anyway. Just that most of my trip is on 95 between DC and Richmond which can be a REAL bugger! A BIZILLION cars all going at least 80 +. I’ll have “White knuckles” the entire 3 1/2 hrs! WISH ME LUCK!

Kay

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Holy… why on earth would they glue them in?? I thought they were just a press fit. That seems sub-optimal… maybe @[[carl-swanson:User:Carl Swanson]] has an answer.

Well, good luck, let us know how it comes out.

kreig-kitts

I have no advice on eyelets, but I can emphasize on the DC – Richmond corridor. Even on off times like a Sunday evening it’s packed, and much of the trip it has few enough lanes that a minor accident somewhere really grinds everything to a halt.

Tacye
    Participant

John Hoare of Pilgrim advised me to use an easily heat reversible method of keeping eyelets from popping out – shellac for instance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.