harpcolumn

Eyelet problem

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Eyelet problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

Seems I have an eyelet problem (4th octave B). The eyelet has turned into a “Toilet seat” and has split as well. I should have looked closer after the first break but didn’t so have gone through 2 strings – UGH! I can’t get the eyelet out . . . won’t even budge! Others have popped out sometimes when I have been threading a string, but NOT this critter – it is stuck tight!

I have e-mailed my regulator and discussed it with my instructor. My instructor says that it might be super-glued in there . . . great!

Any one else have this problem? What did you do? My harp is an 85E Concertino with brass eyelets.

Kay

kay-lister

No one’s had this problem?? Hmmmmm . . . gotta make a 7 hour round trip to get the tech. to help me – bummer!

Tacye
    Participant

Can you push or drill it out from the inside?

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hello Kay. It is almost certainly not super-glued in. Typically you can push these things out from inside the body with the right tool. The trick of course is that you need a replacement. Your technician should certainly be able to advise you on what to do, and I can’t imagine he or she would recommend you drive a 7-hour round trip to do it! Seriously it should not be that complex.

Good luck…

kay-lister

Hi Hugh,

Well, I e-mailed Natalie at L&H and yes, the little suckers ARE glued in. Oh well, my son and his wife live about 20 minutes away from VA Harp Center so I get a visit out of my trip anyway. Just that most of my trip is on 95 between DC and Richmond which can be a REAL bugger! A BIZILLION cars all going at least 80 +. I’ll have “White knuckles” the entire 3 1/2 hrs! WISH ME LUCK!

Kay

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Holy… why on earth would they glue them in?? I thought they were just a press fit. That seems sub-optimal… maybe @[[carl-swanson:User:Carl Swanson]] has an answer.

Well, good luck, let us know how it comes out.

kreig-kitts

I have no advice on eyelets, but I can emphasize on the DC – Richmond corridor. Even on off times like a Sunday evening it’s packed, and much of the trip it has few enough lanes that a minor accident somewhere really grinds everything to a halt.

Tacye
    Participant

John Hoare of Pilgrim advised me to use an easily heat reversible method of keeping eyelets from popping out – shellac for instance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics