harpcolumn

Showing off our new harps!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Showing off our new harps!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Double-click on the photograph. It will enlarge.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

I promise to post more as soon as I’ve got them. Meantime, I don’t want to monopolise the thread – I know there were several other people expecting new harps and I’d love to see/hear about those too.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

I’m one of those sad people who name practically everything they own (from my car to the fridge) so yes, her name is Eleni. Apologies to everyone who will be bored to death by what follows but you did ask so I’ll explain. My Sharpsicle is called Orphea (obviously the female version of Orpheus) so I wanted another Greek name to go with that (I’m passionate about Greece). Eleni is the Greek version of Helen (who was obviously extremely beautiful) and means ‘bright’. It is also a derivative of Eileen, which is the name of a much-loved and very musical aunt who died just a few weeks before the harp was completed so ‘bright, beautiful and a reminder of my aunt’ seemed like a good combination.

Jessica, I can’t wait to see your harp but you must be climbing the walls right now. What absolute torture to have taken delivery and still not be able to play! Will you be giving yours a name as well? (Every time I mention names I feel as if at least 90% of the people on the forum must cringe. I have convinced many non-harp-playing friends that it is traditional and virtually compulsory to name harps so that they won’t think I’m too crazy when I refer to her by her name.) She is also settling really well and her tuning hardly needs more than a tiny tweak each day now. I had never played with synthetic strings before so was a bit concerned that they might not be as great as I’d been told but they sound absolutely wonderful. I do have a tiny buzz on one string but I’ll be taking her to my tutor next week to see if I can do anything about that and if not will take her back to Tim for an adjustment (also a great advantage of using a local luthier).

Do you know when your strings and tuning key are likely to arrive? I will be checking in every day to see if there is more news here. I do hope you’re not kept waiting too long.

jeffrey-mcfadden
    Participant

Well, I bought Jerusha’s Silhouette, but it’s not here yet. I bought it a Cube Street amplifier, tiny, 10 lbs and will run on batteries so I can take it busking. I’m climbing the walls for the harp to get here. I don’t think she got it shipped out yet, maybe tomorrow.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

I feel your pain, Jeffrey, I really do! Looking forward to hearing about it when it arrives!

deb-l
    Participant

Vanderbilt shipped me a new Salvi Ana on a rent to own contract today, in walnut. Can’t wait to pluck those strings : )

lyn-boundy
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing those pics Deb! I’ve just been away for a week and am looking forward to getting back to my practice and catching u[ with what’s been going on here on the forum. I’ll definitely be logging on on Wednesday to see if you’ve taken possession yet – Hope your new harp is everything you’ve dreamt of!

diana-lincoln
    Participant

Deb, I predict you will fall head over heels for your Anna! I still love my Prelude best of all! It just feels like home every time I sit down to play, no other harp except an Anna I’ve played feels quite the same. Could this be the end of all your searching? Perhaps not but I think you will be so very content for a long while. I can’t wait to see your pictures!

daniele-di
    Participant

Congratulations Lyn, your harp is beautiful, I’m really happy for you 🙂

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Thank you Daniele. Everyone here is so generous with their happiness for we lucky ones.

Tacye
    Participant

I spent the weekend playing this harp which had 13 strings when I got it last month and now has 32. Made by Ian Firth in 1975 you can see the similar influence (from Briggs) to Lyn’s new harp. Now it is in a fit state to be appreciated I need to find it a new home.

jeffrey-mcfadden
    Participant

Here at long last is the Silhouette. It took me a long time to get back here to post it. The lighting is a bit rough, but it is truly a beautiful harp.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Wow! Two lovely-looking harps!

diana-lincoln
    Participant

Lyn, your new harp, Eleni, is a work of art! I’m getting harp envy to the point where I’m about to order one I’ve been lusting after for years! I’m going for a Thormahlen Swan in Koa with concert gut strings! It’ll be a while but worth the wait. To all with their new harps, hearty congratulations!!!

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Thank you Diana. How incredibly exciting to be ordering something you’ve wanted for so long! Do you know how long the wait will be? In my experience, that just helps to build up the excitement. Yiou will keep us informed on the progress, won’t you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies