harpcolumn

Salvi Mia and 38 string harps!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Salvi Mia and 38 string harps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,

Does anyone in here own a Salvi Mia? I’ve been looking at this harp. I like how its smaller than the Ogden that I have now. I love the Ogden but I’m looking at my options after my 6 month rental period is done. Anyway, I’m just curious, do any of you have pictures playing it? I’d like to get an idea of really how small it is. I couldn’t find much online when I searched for pictures. I’m wondering if its going to be a big difference from my Ogden and I’m worried about it being uncomfortably small. I’m not looking for a lap harp or anything (not that its actually THAT small) but I don’t want to feel silly and uncomfortable playing it. I would want to try it out and play it before I actually rented or bought one but I’ll have to drive a few hours to the nearest harp store that might actually have it.

Also, any advice in general about that harp, or others.

Like I said, I’m renting an Ogden however, I’m not sure I want to be paying for the next two years on that harp, at the end of my rental, when I’m not 100% sold that THAT is the harp I want. I was sort of wanting something with a couple strings below 6th C and it looks like I’d have to look for a 38 string, of which I’ve really only looked into/found Salvis Titan and Prima 38. If I cant find a 38 string that is reasonably priced or that I could afford financing for, then I would settle for a 34 string (which is why I was looking at the Mia)

Advice?

Sincerely,
    Tracey

Tacye
    Participant

I can’t particularly remember the Mia, but short harps are very common in the UK. To play them you can sit on a low stool (which is probably what you are concerned about with feeling uncomfortable) but very many people raise the harp up, either on legs or on a stand.

Yeah I don’t want to feel like hunched or crouching around to play my harp. Also, I feel like it might be an awkward size because it seems like it might be smaller than an average size floor lever harp, but bigger than a lap harp, so I feel like it might look silly or something. I guess it wouldn’t matter if I played it and I really REALLY liked the sound or how it plays, then I would get it, but yeah.. thats why I was curious if anyone had comparison pictures cause I’m wondering how small it actually is, compared to a person, or even compared to other harps.

Tacye
    Participant

If it is too short then get higher legs for it. My Pilgrim Clarsach is 43″, 5 inches less than the Mia, but that is irrelevant as I have it on legs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies