Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Viloin #103471

    lol, yes Kay they are!

    I thought it would be “fun” to buy a cello and learn to play it… I have a strong music background, how hard could it be? The cello makes a lovely decoration in my living room now! I do keep it tuned and play Mary Had a Little Lamb

    The Escape may work… it was just a bit too short for my L&H 23. I have a Ford Edge which is perfect with the drivers seat pulled forward and the harp at a slant to the right. The Explorer is also a good choice.The Dodge Caravan is way too big, she can haul 2 harps in that one., I’ve rented one before and didn’t care for the way it handled. Hope this helps!

    in reply to: Harp used by Michael Jackson #146607

    Jigar,

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne String Spacing #72628

    John,

    I love my L&H 23 but have to admit that playing on my instructors Camacs is nice as they have more space in the top octives between the neck and soundboard.

    in reply to: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 #106692

    Jerusha

    The Debussy is my favorite. It’s on my stand for me. The other two are upcoming performances.

    in reply to: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 #106689

    Three things:

    Salzedo’s transsciption of Dedussy’s First Arabesque, Mahler’s Symphony No.5, and Ravel’s Mother Goose suite.

    in reply to: how often does your harp need tuning? #148697
    1. This depends upon so much to answer this question. My 23 holds it’s tune very well but I tune it everyday, even though it doesn’t sound out of tune. When the strings are new it really needs it but after a year it holds up well even when I’ve moved it for
    in reply to: The unprepared harist dream #148724

    Two nights ago, I had the dream that gut strings kept breaking. I’d no sooner get one replace before noticing that the tention starts to weaken on the adjacent strings. There’s nothing but panic as my entrance is about to begin and the harp is missing strings and several are loosing pitch!

    Sid

    in reply to: Is it just me, or WHAT? A RANT! #148761

    I probably could Sylvia, but this is orchestra. I shouldn’t be playing the piano part. The piano should play the piano part!

    in reply to: Is it just me, or WHAT? A RANT! #148758

    Here’s another rant; I was handed a piano score to Babes in Toyland by my community Orchestra conductor. She asked if I could play it on the harp and have it performance ready in less than 4 weeks. After looking at only the first page, I told her that the harp is not a piano and that it would be too much work to get this done without pay. I was asked to hold on to the score and give an answer this Wednesday…. sigh.

    in reply to: How do you store your harp cover? #106965

    Ah yes, covers are a pain to store especially living in a townhome! The builder of my place did not have the good sense to build a closet of anykind downstairs (this is always a joke as new people move in to our complex)! Not even a space to store a broom! I keep the base of my cover stowed under the livingroom sofa and the other two covers upstairs under the master bed. Yes this is a nuisance as I move the harp at least twice a week. I’ve noticed some “dead space” at the bottom of the staircase… thinking of knocking in to the wall and making a built in drawer.

    Sid

    Barb,

    Sorry to hear about your car! I purchased a 2009 For Edge last year and it has been great for my LH 23. The Explorer was great too (used that for a rental) but it is higher and therefore more difficult to load the harp (I’m 5’6). Hope this helps.

    Sid

    in reply to: is 21+ too late to become a conservatory student? #158077

    This is what I’ve learned later in life: if you really want to achieve something, go for it. If there is a passion, you will succeed. Of course there is a voice saying you can’t, we all have it (tell is to keep quiet and let you do your work).

    This is why so many people today are taking on a second career after the age of 30! Good luck to you!

    Sid

    in reply to: Is it just me, or WHAT? A RANT! #148733

    David,

    would you like me to fly over there and slap him? I do still owe you one for a piece you arranged for me!

    Sid

    in reply to: salvi angelica #72842

    Ann-Julliette,

    If you’re having trouble locating an Angelica, David Williams Harp Gallery has a 40 string and a 46 string available.

    Sid

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 362 total)