harpcolumn

The unprepared harist dream

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists The unprepared harist dream

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Donna Germano
    Participant

Or as some would call it, the “naked” dream. You know how everyone has those dreams about being unprepared for something?

That is really weird, I didn’t have that dream. I lived it.

Just kidding. I have had it many times. Since I moved to Philadelphia, it usually involves subbing with the Philadelphia Orchestra in some odd old building in the campus district, unknowing what will be played, and being given a square harp to play, or one with strings along the top that go sideways, and no pedals. I have also subbed with the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra at old Carnegie Hall in a bathrobe, or at Radio City Music Hall.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Donna, I believe these are known as “frustration” dreams in “shrink” world, and they are shared by almost everyone in some form.

Donna Germano
    Participant

Now that’s what I’m talking about!

kay-lister

WOW Donna . . . I would definately lay off those bologna sandwiches before bedtime.

kreig-kitts

I had those locker dreams for a while, then the dreams where I’m back in college, have a final coming up, and realize I forgot to attend that class all semester. You know, back in high school I had this dream where our high school was doing a production of “Phanton of the Opera,” and while the curtain was coming up, we were running around confused as

janelle-lake
    Participant

Ha.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

That’s surely one of the funniest!

shelby-m
    Participant

Hey, don’t diss the flute! (just kidding) When I’m in band rehearsals and I can’t play some parts of the music because I need to play them faster than I can actually read the notes, I just hold my breath and sort of waggle my fingers – so no sounds come out but it looks like I’m playing.

The trouble with that is if the players around you know you are faking.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I have a recurring dream that I am about to play a concerto with an orchestra, and realize belatedly that I have never even looked at the music. I always have this panicky feeling of “why on earth didn’t I PRACTICE?” Truly a horrible dream!

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Two nights ago, I had the dream that gut strings kept breaking. I’d no sooner get one replace before noticing that the tention starts to weaken on the adjacent strings. There’s nothing but panic as my entrance is about to begin and the harp is missing strings and several are loosing pitch!

Sid

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.