Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Christmas Harp Selections #107080

    Second paragraph in parenthesis should read, “no reference to Christmas”

    in reply to: Christmas Harp Selections #107079

    Back in ’94 I asked Ellenor Fell about “White Christmas”, as I couldn’t find a harp arrangement for it, she jotted down her version for me. What a treasure!

    Peices that are “winter” songs include, Sleigh Ride and

    in reply to: Salvi Ana -VS- Daphne 40 or 44 #73240

    Back in ’94, I traded my Daphne 40 for a L&H 23. Not sure if they still handle Salvi sales but they did back then.

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72866

    There are 2 more for sale in the Dallas Ft. Worth area, an Angelica Student (40 string) and Angelica Semi Grande (46? sting). They are at the Williams Harp Gallery ( http://www.williamsharpgallery.com )

    in reply to: Musical Toys for Children #107681

    Ah yes,

    in reply to: INAUDIBLE HARP PARTS #145573

    Close enough Catherine, read post #4 on here. I didn’t tell the conductor that I amped the harp. Only the percussionists knew. Of course I made sure to do this at our last rehearsal in case the conductor disapproved of the sound!

    Sid

    in reply to: INAUDIBLE HARP PARTS #145567

    LOL @ David’s post!

    This happens to me at a local cathedral that I shan’t name! Why do they bother to mike me when half the time the engineer forgets to turn me on or in the final CD or video post, they turn me down not to be heard?

    Two weeks ago we did Faure’s Requium. The Sanctus starts pp. During the dress rehearsal the executive director kept coming up to me and asking for more sound. I finally played it forte. For the performance I brought my small portable amp and hid it in the percussion section. After the performance, the principle oboe was impressed at how the harp “carried all the way to her section, she totally heard it!” Just viewed the video yesterday, hallelujah, I could be heard.

    I once asked another conductor if he needed

    in reply to: Strings for a early 20th century L&H Washburn J #73550

    Carl Swanson can help you with this. Look up Swanson Harps to get in touch with him. Also H. Bryan & Co. can help!

    in reply to: Oh Sleep, My Pretty Baby (traditional) #149112

    Thanks Carl, I agree with all you’ve said so far.

    There is a Salvi Angelica 40 string (as well as semi grand in the same model for sale in the Dallas area… David Williams Harp Gallery.

    Here’s the link if anyone wants to see them http://williamsharpgallery.com/usedharps.html

    in reply to: HELP: Need a part for Mahler ‘Totenfeier’ #149688

    did you get my email Alexander?

    Sid

    in reply to: Where Have You Played Your Harp? #107651

    On a golf course during a July 4th celebration!

    in reply to: Advice to beginner harp players #107687

    Yes, there are so many other questions here! It will be best to find a teacher first; they can answer most of your questions. Be prepared to have a full set of strings for spares. You will need a proper bench and music stand with a good light. Electronic tuner is a must (tune EVERYday even if you think you don’t need to)!

    in reply to: Matchbox Twenty harp…..backwards?! #149713

    I think they simply thought a harp would be cool. They bought (or borrowed) one and one of the musicians taught himself overnight. Literally, OVERNIGHT!

    in reply to: Ave Maria solo #158834

    Kay,

    At a student recital last fall, I heard a lever harper do the Bach Prelude in C! I was blown away that he didn’t miss a note or a beat!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 362 total)