harpcolumn

how often does your harp need tuning?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists how often does your harp need tuning?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Reidun
    Participant

I was spoiled until now, having a harp that stays in tune for… two, three, four weeks, even while carrying it around

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

Our harps have always needed tuning every day, but we only tune every 3 or 4 days, unless we are playing out.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant
    1. This depends upon so much to answer this question. My 23 holds it’s tune very well but I tune it everyday, even though it doesn’t sound out of tune. When the strings are new it really needs it but after a year it holds up well even when I’ve moved it for

While nylon and flourocarbon strings are eventually more stable, they take longer to stretch and the less often you tune the longer that process will be.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I vary between tuning the harp to itself and going the whole hog with electronic tuner, but at least every other day.

John McK
    Participant

My small bray harp holds its tuning amazingly well, with gut strings. Much more so than my first harp. . . a nylon/”celtic” lever harp. I keep it in pythagorean tuning, which it likes a lot more than equal temperament (and sounds better for early music too.)

sherry-lenox
    Participant

When you tune a harp every day, you have very little to do. If you do it less frequently there will be more that you have to fuss with.

I’ve always been fascinated by the phenomenon of pitch memory in wood instruments. I don’t know why it’s true, but an instrument does remember what its pitches should sound like if it’s tuned and played regularly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies