harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Viloin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

Any violin players out there?

Sylvia
    Participant

I think it depends on the person how difficult an instrument seems.

kreig-kitts

Bowed strings can be fun to play. I played viola before taking up the harp and for a while after. I only quit because I moved where there wasn’t an amateur group that fit my skill level (all either really serious, or low level that I wouldn’t have found challenging), and I wanted to have more time practicing the harp as much as I I thought my goals would require.

If you want to play in an orchestra, the bowed strings play almost nonstop, and the violins play some of the most difficult parts (lots of fast runs etc.), so you’ll have a lot of practicing to do to learn the music

Adult beginners on violin generally would not progress well. Young people who begin as early as possible have the necessary joint flexibility to handle two completely different tools- bow for right hand with great

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I have horrible memories of trying to play the violin and the

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

I do not mean to be negative but to play the violin well is a huge undertaking. (Even sort of well.) I think learning to fiddle is a much easier task. I played violin briefly as a kid and have watched and taken notes as my now 13 year old who began at age 4 has grown into a serious violinist. There is a lot to know. I used to try and play it a bit in the begnning and then he got into all those upper postions and I was lost. The bowing alone is a huge thing. Having said that there are a few dedicated adults in the string school my kids attend and they started as adults. The kids always blow past them but a few of them have hung in there and a couple even play with the youngest orchesta now. I have always wanted to play the cello. So my solution to that was to have my other child play

kay-lister

Thanks all – think I’ll stick with the harp.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

lol, yes Kay they are!

I thought it would be “fun” to buy a cello and learn to play it… I have a strong music background, how hard could it be? The cello makes a lovely decoration in my living room now! I do keep it tuned and play Mary Had a Little Lamb

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Regarding the problem of finding the notes–I played fretless banjo with no trouble because I already played guitar and your ear tells you when a note is off.

However, other issues (the caterwauling on a high-pitched instrument, the bowing) present additional problems.

Notice that quite a few folks like the cello. So do I (most guitarists like it).

deb-l
    Participant

you made the right decision Kay.

kay-lister

Had a try at my friends violin . . . my hats off to all of you violin players.

deb-l
    Participant

cello has the most beautiful sound of anything on earth

Stephen Conor
    Participant

I am planning to study violin. Any thoughts?

Madeline Davis
    Participant

Violin doesn’t seem to have the advantage of the harp of naturally sounding nice when playing Twinkle…definitely not easy, though not so

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies