Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I thought you’d enjoy this one… #146558

    Like!

    in reply to: Humidifiers #103558

    The hygrometer next to the harp registers 43-52% depending on how much the heater is running Carl. I don’t know what the level is on the other side of the living room next to the humidifier. I do know without the humidifier the living room will register as low as 12%!

    in reply to: Column Loading #70650

    Yes, there’s a picture of column loading in his book.

    in reply to: Humidifiers #103554

    Carl,

    I know you asked this question to Rod, but wanted to state that my new humidifier lets off a steam like vapor. The machine gives you the option of cool mist or warm for whatever that’s worth; they both appear as vapor. Because of this I chose to keep the humidifier across the room from the harp. I looked all over for 2 days for a cold humidifier like my last one but had no luck. The staff at Home Depot and Lowes all told me that we don’t need humidifiers in Dallas. Of course with the hygrometer in the living room reading 12% I knew better. There were at least 11 different humidifiers at Bed Bath and Beyond and they all had a “vapor”, and of course since everyone working there is on an hourly wage, none of the staff could answer questions about this mysterious mist! I bought what I did out of frustration and the fact that it would handle 900 square feet (enough to control all of the downstairs of my townhouse). It would be nice to find one that doesn’t emit this vapor in which case I’d move the current one upstairs and keep the invisible air downstairs and closer to the harp. If anyone knows where this can be purchases today (please don’t tell me about your humidifier that you bought 5 years ago at such-and-such place… that does us no good today). It seems these electronics change yearly and it gets frustrating trying to find replacements.

    So Carl, is this vapor, even though it’s cool, not good for the harp?

    Sid

    in reply to: Humidifiers #103551

    You can find an assortment of humidifiers at Bed Bath and Beyond. My Honeywell burned itself out after 4 winters. I found a great Vornado humidifier at BB&B. Just don’t rely on the built in hygrometer. Get a good hygrometer at Home-depot or Radio shack. They usually run about $15. If you think you don’t need a humidifier, then spend the 15 bucks on the hygrometer anyway! You’ll be surprised! Just don’t tell me how bad it was because I’ll have to do the “I told you so dance!”

    ;-) Sid

    in reply to: John Rutter’s FOR THE BEAUTY OF THE EARTH #146893

    David, next time you need an orchestral church piece, send me a text and I’ll see if it’s in the library at Cathedral of Hope! Just saw this tonight….

    much love,

    Sid

    in reply to: John Rutter’s FOR THE BEAUTY OF THE EARTH #146892

    I played this piece earlier this year. Hated it. The font was the “handwritten” type which made it difficult to read the moving part (WHY do they do this? It’s rude to the musicians). It also wasn’t typical harp patterns either. Think I told the conductor and the music minister that I wanted to slap them both for putting this piece in front of me! lol!

    in reply to: Help with harp age/serial numbers…. #146930

    My 23 is numbered 12072. It was made in 1994.

    Sid

    in reply to: Sleigh Ride Harp Part #146758

    Like!

    in reply to: Who is playing in this video? #104967

    Tony,

    the video is not comming up with that link…

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145321

    Laura,

    A year ago May (2010) I loaded my 23 in a 2010 Explorer. I had no problem getting the harp to lay flat and there was plenty of room to spare. It was a bit higher than my Edge, which I like better.

    Sid

    in reply to: LH pedal felts #70992

    Hah! And here I thought I was being clever by getting my felts at the Steinway showroom! Thanks for the tip Barbara!

    in reply to: iPhone app for an electronic tuner?? #147058

    I use the Peterson app. Try plugging in your earphones that came with the iPhone and let the microphone dangle inside the soundbox if you’re having trouble, this acts as a pick up mic. I noticed that Peter Wiley (the harp doc) uses his phone to tune harps when he regulates now…

    in reply to: Salvi Angelica Repairman/woman Wanted #71109

    You can change the pedal rod yourself, but I recommend trying to find a harp regulator to do it for you. Harps, like people, can shrink as they age so you may need a slightly different size pedal rod than you may think if your harp is older. Contact Peter Wiley (harpdoc.com) or Carl Swanson (his web page is somewhere on this site) and they can give you more info on how to do this if you can’t find someone in the area. I do have Carl’s book, “A Guide For Harpists” that walks you through it. It is intimidating which is why I recommend a professional first to do it for you while you watch, then if it happens ever again you’ll feel better about doing it yourself. You may even find a harpist in the area that has done this before and may be willing to assist, of course it would be nice to compensate them for their time!

    in reply to: Started playing harp at 19… can I go somewhere with it? #165917

    What a great story! Of course you don’t have to change your major. I didn’t start harp until I was 27. Today I play principle harp for a community orchestra as well as a church orchestra. The original plan was just to play for myself at home, never to gig or play with a group, but things change so don’t rule out orchestra playing! You can still gig without being a music major. If you want to audition for a symphony, that is a different story where a degree in harp will help but it will not make or break you. What matters is your technique and skill.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 362 total)