Which vehicle to choose for transporting a semi-grand harp?

• Participant
    eva-murphy on #148251

I just sold a L & H semi-grand pedal harp that’s a Style 16… in between the size of a L & H style 15 and style 17 (kind of like a larger 15, with a crown on it, or sort of like a 17, with a straight soundboard). The buyer just wants to get the harp home without paying through the nose for freight companies.

She needs to transport the harp for a six-hour drive, each way, staying at a motel overnight (or else stay overnight at my place…I have met her before, and she is not a stranger), and these are the vehicles she has the option to rent: a mid-size Ford Escape SUV, or a standard size Chevrolet Equinox SUV or a Dodge Grand Caravan. Any listers have any experience hauling a semi-grand in any of these vehicles? Was it a good or bad experience?

Participant
    jan-fetty on #148252

I am planning a similar trip and talked to the rental agency explaining my needs.

Spectator
    Sid Humphreys on #148253

The Escape may work… it was just a bit too short for my L&H 23. I have a Ford Edge which is perfect with the drivers seat pulled forward and the harp at a slant to the right. The Explorer is also a good choice.The Dodge Caravan is way too big, she can haul 2 harps in that one., I’ve rented one before and didn’t care for the way it handled. Hope this helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.