I thought you’d enjoy this one…

• Participant
    carl-swanson on #146557

I just received this in an email:

Wanted: Musicians to play in restaurant

Craigslist Ad: We are a small & casual restaurant in downtown. We are looking for musicians to play, gratis, in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

Reply:
    Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restaurateur to promote their restaurant and come to my house to make dinner, gratis, for my friends and me. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.

Spectator
    Sid Humphreys on #146558

Like!

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #146559

Ditto!

Jerusha

Participant
    barbara-kraichy–2 on #146560

I enjoyed that! What a great response to people who have the audacity to want harpists to play for gratis.

Participant
    kent-vogel on #146561

Good job Mr. Swanson! They remind me of Huck Finn giving the neighborhood kids a chance to whitewash the fence!

Participant
    diana-lincoln on #146562

That response made me laugh!!!Way to go!!!

kay-lister on #146563

This reminds me of what happened to me a few years ago.

Participant
    andee-craig on #146564

Kay, re: ‘playing for exposure’…my teacher used to say, “People have been known to die from exposure!”!

Participant
    carl-swanson on #146565

Kay- I think if anyone asked me to play a job for free I might respond “Why I’d love to, provided you pay my bills for this month.”

Participant
    jessica-wolff on #146566

It was Tom Sawyer, but good point.

Participant
    Irene C on #146567

hahaha!

Participant
    tonya-a on #146568

Carl – I’d love to see your response to this CraigsList posting I just found – they can’t be serious! (Can they?).

“We are looking for a full size harp for free, my wife wants to learn how to play one and no way could we afford one.

So if by chance you have one and would be willing to give it to a good home I promise we’ll take care of it and enjoy learning to play it.

Please reply with a photo and phone number or the email will be deleted.

Thanks”

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #146569

Sure, they can be serious.

I had a student who did that, too. People have an incredible sense of entitlement. They said in their ad that since God had prompted her to want to play, then it was up to someone to provide the instrument. :: Shrugs::

Participant
    Elizabeth L on #146570

They can let God

Participant
    Maria Myers on #146571

This reminds me of Ms Konkus who posted many times on this site asking for money and then using a personal blog to attack those who didn’t comply.

Maria

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.