sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: William Walton Crown Imperial (Original 1937 version) #150126
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Perfect!

    in reply to: William Walton Crown Imperial (Original 1937 version) #150123
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi Fearghal- I was wondering if you were familiar with the piece from hearing it.

    I don’t think there are many places in it where the harp parts are too prominent, so you might get away with cutting and pasting from the score and come up with a result that was satisfactory.

    It’s a wonderful piece!

    in reply to: Who’s that guy in the L&H ad? #108175
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    OT, but isn’t it nice that they chose a HARPIST to be in a picture of a harpist?

    I get so annoyed an the numerous commercials that are produced using non-musicians pretending (horribly) to be musicians. There is a particularly offensive one on TV here on the east coast portraying a female conductor. Would it be TOO difficult for the ACTRESS to learn how to make a legitimate beat pattern?

    Thank you for allowing me to vent.

    in reply to: Teaching ideas for very young harp students #83969
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Here’s another vote for Kodaly, but can’t you give her half hour lessons?

    in reply to: Teaching ideas for very young harp students #84682
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Here’s another vote for Kodaly, but can’t you give her half hour lessons?

    in reply to: Teaching ideas for very young harp students #85192
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Here’s another vote for Kodaly, but can’t you give her half hour lessons?

    in reply to: Great Harpo Article #108195
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Wonderful article. The picture of Harpo practicing with bare feet is perfect!

    in reply to: Harpsicle?? #74330
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I also have a BLevins Avee and although the tension is definitely lighter than a pedal harp, my teacher who is a VERY strong pedal harp player got a beautiful tone from my Avee and NO trouble with over pulling. Mine also came from the discounted list and with full Camac levers it was less than $2000.

    in reply to: Gelsemium #108235
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kay do you just buy this in a health food store as Gelsenium?

    For the first 50 or so years of my life I had NO anxiety about performing in public. Now all of a sudden I’m really really having problems. I tried Bach’s Rescue Remedy the last time I played in public and it either didn’t help at all or I was such a mess that it felt like it wasn’t helping but I would have been even worse if I hadn’t taken it.

    in reply to: Early Music Shop #74226
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Have a look at the Blevins Harps website. Their special priced harps are very nice. I have an Avee that sounds wonderful.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145304
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The Ford Flex is terrific. We also drove the Taurus X and the Edge before we bought, and all of them are low and wide and have a square area in back.
    The Flex has the lowest gas mileage but they have wonderful safety ratings.
    I’d take a Ford before any other vehicle available.

    in reply to: Ground freight recommendations #74365
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I don’t know how much the cost is, but having a fragile instrument “foamed” is a great way to keep it safe.

    I think the stuff is blown around the instrument in some sort of wet or mushy consistency, and then it dries to a solid foam.

    in reply to: When to get a pedal harp? #159021
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Don’t forget the L&H CPO lists. A very nice instrument can sometimes be gotten for less than $8000 but you have to watch and be able to jump when you see one.

    in reply to: Nervousness during lessons #155818
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher is the kindest person on earth, but I can never play in my lesson as well as I do at home.
    For me, it’s definitely expecting myself to be perfect, and I also get totally freaked out if I think my teacher will think I haven’t practiced enough.
    Do you feel that the music in your assigned lesson is appropriate to your abilities and goals?
    One other thing- when you say you can play your music perfectly at home, are you sure that you’re playing it at the same tempo when you take your lesson?
    I have a tendency to try to do everything faster in my lesson than at home.

    in reply to: Need to try a Prelude40 #74381
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    But Barbara, here’s the best part- there are lots of gorgeous beginner pieces that if played well, really sound great.

    Enjoy every minute!

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 747 total)