sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Chadwick’s Symphonic Sketches. #150373
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    This score includes bass clarinet parts in both Bb and A, which is VERY unusual. The only other piece I ever played that had an A bass clarinet part was one of the Mahler symphonies.

    in reply to: String Tying Woes #159192
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I agree about not cutting the string for a few days and my teacher does the same thing, at least on her Prelude.
    They look like a bunch of very musical porcupines at times, but it does ease the pain of getting to the end of the process and finding you have to start again from scratch.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #84032
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    That’s precisely what Kodaly employs for rhythm instruction Saul.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #84745
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    That’s precisely what Kodaly employs for rhythm instruction Saul.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #85255
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    That’s precisely what Kodaly employs for rhythm instruction Saul.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #84030
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Many students confuse tempo with duration. Describing notes as being shorter-longer and not faster-slower can help get across the idea that notes with flags are shorter so that more fit into each beat, but that the tempo can be faster or slower so that as the beat changes, the size of the note changes accordingly. Describing a whole note as so many beats long emphasizes the fact that there is a certain amount of space that each note has.

    The Kodaly method addresses this issue in a succinct and amazingly simple way. I’ve had second and third graders reading varied rhythm patterns with notes from whole notes to dotted halfs to eight notes.

    Many (not all) music teachers don’t know how to teach rhythm reading, so students sometimes get very little experience with rhythm reading in typical general music programs.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #84743
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Many students confuse tempo with duration. Describing notes as being shorter-longer and not faster-slower can help get across the idea that notes with flags are shorter so that more fit into each beat, but that the tempo can be faster or slower so that as the beat changes, the size of the note changes accordingly. Describing a whole note as so many beats long emphasizes the fact that there is a certain amount of space that each note has.

    The Kodaly method addresses this issue in a succinct and amazingly simple way. I’ve had second and third graders reading varied rhythm patterns with notes from whole notes to dotted halfs to eight notes.

    Many (not all) music teachers don’t know how to teach rhythm reading, so students sometimes get very little experience with rhythm reading in typical general music programs.

    in reply to: teaching rhythm #85253
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Many students confuse tempo with duration. Describing notes as being shorter-longer and not faster-slower can help get across the idea that notes with flags are shorter so that more fit into each beat, but that the tempo can be faster or slower so that as the beat changes, the size of the note changes accordingly. Describing a whole note as so many beats long emphasizes the fact that there is a certain amount of space that each note has.

    The Kodaly method addresses this issue in a succinct and amazingly simple way. I’ve had second and third graders reading varied rhythm patterns with notes from whole notes to dotted halfs to eight notes.

    Many (not all) music teachers don’t know how to teach rhythm reading, so students sometimes get very little experience with rhythm reading in typical general music programs.

    in reply to: Afraid to move it! #108210
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kay, Do you have Carl Swanson’s book? Makes it look almost easy…. 🙂

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I think your program is ambitious and interesting!

    You probably know the Bernard Andres pieces for one instrument and harp. I like the very short pieces in the “Algues” collection, because they provide the chance for a nice balance between the harp and the other instrument. They can be done with violin, oboe, or flute.

    Although they would be easy to prepare as encores, I think they are little jewels. There is plenty of room for musical expression.

    I’ve not seen them, but I think Bernard Andres has also written some harder pieces for harp and another instrument. You might want to have a look at them.

    in reply to: Which teacher would you choose? #108438
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    What a happy question! My answer- My teacher!

    She is a wonderful person, a gifted musician, a source of constant musical surprises, and a great harpist.

    What more would an adult beginner want?

    in reply to: “Algues”–Bernard Andres #150729
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Could someone check something in the first movement for me? In measure 13, there is a deviation from the pattern appearing in the ensuing measures.

    Should the second eighth note chord in measure 13 be the same as the sixth eight note chord? All of the subsequent measures are the same chord on the second and sixth eighth note.

    Thanks for your help!

    in reply to: Olympic Harps!!! #108422
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m about 5’3″, my teacher is about 5″. I’ve been taking lessons on her very large Salvi. She sits much higher than I do when she plays, even though I’m taller.

    When I started playing her Salvi I was almost overwhelmed with the weight, but after quite a bit of experimentation I’ve found the right height, distance, and so on, and now the harp feels like no weight at all.

    My point is that sometimes finding the appropriate balance point can be counter-intuitive. I would have been very discouraged if I had continued to play

    the “heavy” harp, but now that I’ve figured this out, it’s become a non-problem.

    When I was playing viola regularly I developed a partial tear of my rotator cuff,but with the intervention of an interested physical therapist, I no longer have any trouble with that either.

    in reply to: Some health tips for us maturing “harpists.” #108368
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I feel about ten years younger than I did before I discovered the harp. I find that all of my efforts to improve my health contribute in some way to better playing, raise my spirits (and endorphins), and make me want to play more.

    I’m presently enrolled in Music Theory Level IV at my local community college, which sits atop a hill. thus making me walk every day. What serendipity- I can’t get to my wonderful class unless I hike up the hill.

    I think getting old WAS the pits, but now I’m not getting old. I’m in a holding pattern and determined to stay in it as far into the future as my presbyopia will permit me to see. Thanks for the perspective Judy.

    in reply to: Music Therapists #108522
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi Jennifer- I don’t know about NYS, but in NJ there is presently a post graduate certificate program for a year or so of instruction and a practicum, after which you are permitted to take the licensing exam.

    The graduate degree is definitely preferred, but in my own personal situation, the post grad sequence would work because of my other degrees.

    Jeffrey, take a look at “music therapy” through the John Cali School of Music, at Montclair. Naturally MSU uses a large number of NYC resources for their music therapy degrees. Montclair presently offers undergrad, graduate, and certification degrees in music therapy, and the program is highly regarded. 🙂

    Also, look up the name Tomaino for a truly inspiring look at what can be done in a top-notch music therapy hospital based program.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 747 total)