harpcolumn

When to get a pedal harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists When to get a pedal harp?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

You might want to consider a lever harp that is as close to a pedal harp as you can get without being a pedal harp. The Pratt Chamber harps look like a pedal harp with the extended soundboard and they sound an awful lot like a pedal harp. They use concert spacing and concert, pedal harp strings–often with L & H strings. Same tension as a pedal harp. 36 strings, Camac levers….beautiful workmanship.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Don’t forget the L&H CPO lists. A very nice instrument can sometimes be gotten for less than $8000 but you have to watch and be able to jump when you see one.

brook-boddie
    Participant

There’s a very nice looking Chicago 40 on the CPO website right now.

Cassie M
    Participant

Thank you all for your input! I’m sorry I took so long to respond. I like the idea of saving up for a bigger pedal harp, although I think I’ll have an extremely hard time parting with my Ravenna 26. I’ll continue to talk to my teacher about it. Thank you!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Why would you want to part with it?

Rachel
    Participant

I concur, I know many pedal harpists who own a smaller lever harp of some kind,

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>it will fit in the trunk of most cars, for example

Yes, but please don’t put it there! A car trunk gets much too hot and too cold to be a safe place to haul a harp around.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Not so.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Lord… that should read “after 1990.”

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Sorry, I’ve seen harps belonging to students that have suffered a lot from being hauled in trunks and I assure you they weren’t being lugged around in old junkers. Mostly pretty upscale vehicles, as a matter of fact.

The old rule still applies: would you transport a puppy that way? If not, not the harp, either.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Just to clarify: not saying this is the case with all cars, not by any means, but it’s a risky experiment to find out by experience whether it’s okay with your particular car or not. Glad it works for you, Audrey, but I wouldn’t chance it.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi,
    Seems like you could check the internal temp of your trunk by leaving a thermometer in it during the middle of

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

That’s a good idea…the thermometer, that is.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies