harpcolumn

Early Music Shop

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Early Music Shop

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jane

First, thank you: I’ve read lots of this community’s posts and seen a great deal of sensible advice, and you seem like good-natured people. I’m glad you exist!

My question is, does anyone know anything about EMS (Early Music Shop) harps? Is their sound good, are they made well, do they have unpleasant qualities I should know about? I’m looking at the Regency and the Voyager models from Music Maker, but EMS looks promising too. (Lyon & Healy et al. are out of my price range.)

If it matters, I’m fairly certain I’m going to be an incompetant but cheerful

barbara-brundage
    Participant

They sell the harps made in Pakistan, I believe. If you do a google search of this site for “Pakistani harps” you will get beaucoup opinions.

william-weber
    Participant

EMS harps are made in Pakistan, but are more upscale than the ordinary Mid-East instruments. I have one of the Round Back group which is solidly made but doesn’t produce much sound from its modest-sized birch soundboard. It might take higher tension and still stay in one piece. The biggest issue is consistent placement of pins, because you may get one where some levers just won’t tune well.

If I had it to do over, I’d run up to the North Shore and buy a Dusty Strings Ravenna 26.

darth-mom
    Participant

Hi Jane,
    I don’t know much about them, but have you considered a Harpsicle?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Have a look at the Blevins Harps website. Their special priced harps are very nice. I have an Avee that sounds wonderful.

jane

Thank you! I figured you guys would know. I’ll keep looking (and collecting cans for the deposit money 🙂 )

rod-wagoner
    Participant

Don’t neglect Stoney End harps.

atlanta-harp-center
    Participant

Hello Jane-

The EMS harps can be a bit like rolling the dice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies