sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There’s a LOT of music by Grandjany and Salzedo that is at your level, given that you like Trois Pieces Faciles. I think you’d have to have a look to see what’s appropriate. I find the “faciles” thing a rather cruel snipe at my technique. Several of the faciles pieces mean that you don’t have to break down single measures with 73 notes in them, but they certainly aren’t beginner music either.

    I love the Barcarolle too, but for me it’s about a hundred times easier with pedals.

    Enjoy!

    in reply to: Favourite pieces that are too hard for you! #158639
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Nino Rota’s Sarabande and Toccata…..so difficult I’m not even sure I should listen to it, much less try to play it.

    in reply to: Strings for a early 20th century L&H Washburn J #73555
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Also, take a look at my post “just wanted to mention” in the Coffee Break forum, where Howard provides some interesting information about string gauges.

    in reply to: Strings for a early 20th century L&H Washburn J #73554
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    You also may see something that would work on Howard Bryan’s website. There is a list of strings there, don’t think the Washburn is mentioned, but you might be able to figure out what you need from the other lists. Hope this helps!

    in reply to: Changing technique #83787
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher was trained extensively in two techniques and uses elements of both.

    If she is preparing a student for a university audition she teaches in the style of the school where the audition will take place.

    She has the most gorgeous tone I ever heard and I think she has played, really well, some of the demons in the literature, so, I’m pretty convinced that the combination she studied worked really well for her, and from my point of view, for her students as well.

    in reply to: Changing technique #84500
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher was trained extensively in two techniques and uses elements of both.

    If she is preparing a student for a university audition she teaches in the style of the school where the audition will take place.

    She has the most gorgeous tone I ever heard and I think she has played, really well, some of the demons in the literature, so, I’m pretty convinced that the combination she studied worked really well for her, and from my point of view, for her students as well.

    in reply to: Changing technique #85010
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher was trained extensively in two techniques and uses elements of both.

    If she is preparing a student for a university audition she teaches in the style of the school where the audition will take place.

    She has the most gorgeous tone I ever heard and I think she has played, really well, some of the demons in the literature, so, I’m pretty convinced that the combination she studied worked really well for her, and from my point of view, for her students as well.

    in reply to: South Pacific on PBS #107852
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Has anyone seen the touring company of the show? I was wondering if they were using the 30 piece orchestration. If so, who’s the harpist?

    in reply to: Just wanted to mention #107341
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    It’s a straight board with a warm tone. The carving and gilding are very GRAHND but the board decoration is a very simple outline of the board with a little turn back on itself at each of the corners. SO PRETTY!

    I loved the Arion when it came out, but my teacher’s Salvi has a very tiny space between the neck and the highest strings, so I was afraid it wouldn’t work with my hand.

    This harp came with the original case, which weighs about as much as a small family room. My husband could handle the C easily after having lugged the 85P around, but the case is huge! It has what I guess is the original Wurlitzer logo on the side. Definitely part of the fun!

    I was able to practice much on it today because it’s still not stable in pitch, but I’m looking forward to doing at least some of my lesson practicing on it tomorrow.

    I have a couple excellent pictures already, so once I figure out how to post them I will do so. For now, back to tuning……….:)!

    in reply to: Irish Hymns #149680
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    We used “Be Thou My Vision” for my mom’s funeral and also had a lovely very simple setting of the prayer “May the Road Rise To Meet You” that I loved, but probably couldn’t fine in time. However, any setting of those words would definitely work.

    in reply to: Please Help – Which Model to Rent/Buy? #158686
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Be sure to play the Eos. Some of us newer players were really impressed with its sound when it was advertised here a year or so ago. I haven’t played it, but the sound of it playing a Welch national song (don’t know the name) would wring your heart.

    Your list doesn’t have a bad harp on it. Play as much as you can at the festival and let your ear and your heart be your guide.

    As to levers, there is a certain amount of disagreement among us gentle spirited harpers. I have harps with Camac levers and harps with Truitt levers. Before I had cataract surgery, I used Camacs more because they were easier for me to see.
    Now I can see more clearly and could probably use Truitts, which are smaller and daintier than Camacs.

    I personally think that practicality should prevail- a lever that is beautiful to look at but doesn’t work for you musically will be frustrating.

    You are VERY wise to rent. Perhaps after you’ve narrowed down your choices to a few, you’ll be able to rent with option to buy. Then there will be less lost if you change your mind when making a final purchase.

    Enjoyo the journey!

    Just remembered one thing about strings- I had some concerns about string tension when I started, and I bought a harp with nylon strings. My concerns were groundless because my fingers never hurt while playing. I would have probably gone for pedal tension gut strings if I’d taken a little more time deciding. Folk tension gut didn’t work for me because I would overpull too much and distort the tone.

    in reply to: Harpist at Chelsea Clintons Wedding #149684
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    No doubt the harpist was sworn to absolute secrecy, as everyone involved was. I can’t really think why this particular degree of secrecy is necessary, but obviously the Clintons have their reasons.

    in reply to: Looking to buy a lap harp #73774
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    If you’re considering a Lewis Creek Nightingale, it’s worth the wait.

    in reply to: Accompanying a piper #149728
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    What scale name pitch is 470Hz? Are you saying that they call traditional concert pitch A440 470?

    in reply to: Time for a harpmobile! #107866
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    (sorry pushed the wrong button) as to column loading, I don’t think you’d make it in either Ford, but I’ve never tried it.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 747 total)