sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: oldest harp still being played? #73385
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My new=old Wurlitzer was built before 1920 and all of its main parts are original

    and in my opinion it sounds like a million bucks.

    It was brought back to life by Howard Bryan and when he realized that it was so well preserved he gave me the choice of a new soundboard or not.

    I decided for several reasons that I’d like to know what it was like when it was new from the factory. So far, that’s worked fine. When and if it needs it, I’ll have the soundboard replaced.

    I’m so grateful that someone bought it and then it was apparently never played. I just hope the previous owner(s) didn’t experience some unfortunate event that kept it from being played.

    Maybe this topic would be a good plot for a novel!

    in reply to: Yolanda Kondanasis #107607
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Really NICE mini-review, Kay!!!! What did you play?

    in reply to: Harp parts #149311
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Definitely in print, I think my latest copy is the 5th edition. This is an extremely interesting book if you love orchestral music whether you play or not.

    in reply to: I would really love some advice #158344
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I don’t know the current exchange rate, but check out Blevins Harps. I know they
    sell in the UK.
    I bought a very nice harp from them for $2000, but they have plenty for a lot less (I don’t know what the VAT would do to the price). Good Luck!

    in reply to: Moving from lever to pedal harp… #158364
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Congrats Rebecca- Volume 1 of the Bochsa doesn’t have any pedal changes, but Volume 2 has lots of them.
    Just wanted you to be aware!
    Hope you’re enjoying the new harp!

    in reply to: CD recommendations needed #149524
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Isabel Moretti’s recording of the 3 Rodrigo Concerti is interesting in several ways, one being the immediate contrast among the differences in what the composer was writing at three very different stages of life.

    in reply to: Moving from lever to pedal harp… #158356
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m doing Pozzoli book 2 (the first book, printed with Grossi is Book 1, the intermediate book is published under its own cover), and the second book of Bochsa 50 Progressive Lessons for the Harp, and for me, they contain great confidence builders. What has your teacher recommended?

    in reply to: Mozart Clarinet Concerto in A (Adagio) arranged for Harp #149502
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Also try a search from your local library. There certainly must be an edition in public domain.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146815
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Production of Pacquin’s Hand Cream has been discontinued. This topic is really leading along a circuitous trail……

    in reply to: Question about harp therapy #107735
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I actually didn’t know of any that were not accredited by the National Board of Standards for Therapeutic Musicians, and really didn’t find any in my web searches.

    I’m attending an information workshop in September, so I expect I’ll come away with some interesting information from that.

    I’m hoping to find a program that will help me to use some of my prior training in addition to gaining new techniques and experiences in the use of music as a

    therapeutic tool.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses Rantses #145964
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Is anyone learning the Previn piece?

    in reply to: Pentacle #107770
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    If the first chapter is any indication, I can’t wait to get my copy!

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158380
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My ebony 85P was a great buy off the L&H CPO list.

    Being a little “seasoned” myself, I have no objection to a used instrument in excellent shape, and that’s what the 85P was. I won’t bother to get into the economics, but it was far less expensive than even the very economical Chicago.

    You have to keep your eyes open and be ready to jump!

    in reply to: Working with physical limitations… #83757
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    When I got interested in playing, I had a persistent pain disorder, and my hands and arms were part of the package.

    I knew I wanted and needed top notch instruction, and got it. I explained to my teacher at our first meeting that I would be attempting to do whatever was necessary to play “correctly” and would tell her if there was something she expected me to do that I couldn’t do.

    Now a little over three years later I live almost entirely free from pain, and although I have a finger that hurts once in a while, I have no discomfort when playing and sometimes have to ask my teacher to lower the boom and be tougher on me.

    I feel strongly that the distribution of endorphins in the system is positively connected to enthusiasm for the task and love of the product.

    If i’m working on something especially challenging, I can drill for a long time with no pain, and no pain after I’ve concluded a practice session.

    A good teacher will never expect a student to do something that causes physical discomfort, and a committed enthusiastic teacher will work with a student, especially an adult, to find ways to compensate for problems and keep playing comfortably.

    I think there is more risk in attempting to self teach than in taking lessons with a qualified teacher.

    I’m betting if you love the harp and love to play it, you and a good teacher will be able to figure out a way for you to play that will result in more benefits than problems.

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Yep, that’s the one, although I did realize after posting my comment that it couldn’t be played without pedals and nobody would try to anyhow.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 747 total)