Time for a harpmobile!

Posted In: Coffee Break

• Participant
    unknown-user on #107856

Hey everyone,

The Honda minivan finally broke down pretty badly today (with the harp in the car!!) after 200000 miles. Looks like its time

Participant
    unknown-user on #107857

BTW I have a L&H 23, if that makes a difference.

~Sam

Participant
    kathy-chanik on #107858

Hey Sam, congratulations on coming in second in the Young Artist competition.

Participant
    vince-pierce on #107859

I definitely read 2 million miles before I counted the zeros…I was thinking, ‘only a Honda could do that…’ But maybe a Dodge Caravan would work? I think I know a few harpists that own one. Wish I could be more helpful, and better at math.

Participant
    laura-palmieri on #107860

I’m not sure if you want foreign or American but I have been looking at Kia’s minivan’s and SUV’s. They are cheaper and they have a good warranty if that’s a factor. Or my harp teacher loves her new Ford Taurus X model and it fits the harp nicely.

Spectator
    Calista Anne Koch on #107861

I’m searching right now too.

Participant
    unknown-user on #107862

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot! What about a Subaru Forester? Or a Toyota Sienna? Has any one column loaded a 23 (74″ tall) successfully in either of these minivans? BTW any information about non-column loading won’t suffice – I have to column load.

~Sam

Participant
    rod-c on #107863

Sam:

There was a great article a couple of years ago in the printed version of Harpcolumn about the best harpmobiles. Also, there have been many good posts here.

Participant
    rod-c on #107864

Sam:

A good friend of mine (professional harpist) has a Toyota Sienna (LH 85…almost as big as a 23). She always column loads.

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #107865

I don’t think the Subaru is large enough and it does have an edge that can be difficult to get over when the door meets the body of the car.

As I suppose everyone already knows, we LOVE our Ford Flex and it is great for loading, and the Ford Taurus X is approximately the same body size but since they’re not making them anymore, if you can find one and it works for you, you’ll probably get a good price. As

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #107866

(sorry pushed the wrong button) as to column loading, I don’t think you’d make it in either Ford, but I’ve never tried it.

Participant
    shelby-m on #107867

I’m really new to the harp scene (don’t even HAVE my harp yet) and I was just wondering what “column loading” is…

On another note, my mom has a Dodge Caliber and that might work nicely if you’re looking for a car to tote your harp in.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #107868

I always thought an old ambulance or hearse would be cool.

Participant
    bill-grant on #107869

Hey Sam

We just got ( after the Dodge Ram Van 1500 died) a Buick Terraza ( former lease, had 45 K on it. It works great, lots of room, great ride.

Participant
    unknown-user on #107870

Hey Bill,

I had no idea you were on here! We actually realized that I don’t cart the harp back and forth between school much (maybe once every 6 weeks) and so we decided that we will rent when we need to move the harp. We got a Toyota

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.